Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dd-8 yrs old and no adult teeth yet

amother

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:33 am
when I called my dentist the secretary said its possible that she doesn't have any adult teeth- it happens! I've never heard of it. If that's the case she might need implants....

we need to do an xray to determine for sure.

what worries me is that her top teeth look like double teeth ( can only tell if you look into her mouth) does that mean anything?

anyone had that with their kids?

mom25

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:45 am
I know some kids that had that. The new teeth came in before the baby teeth fell out. show it to the dentist, he might pull put the baby teeth so new teeth could come more front

happyme7

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:46 am
I think it is much more common for adult teeth to come in later, than not at all, so most likely there is nothing to worry about. 8 is not unheard of for beginning to lose teeth.
It's good you'll be getting xrays- hopefully the results will allay your fears.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:50 am
My permanent teeth all started coming in without pushing the baby teeth out, so the baby teeth had to be pulled. Is that what you mean by "double teeth"?

DS didn't lose any baby teeth until he was 7 or 8. His teeth are fine (thanks to the wonders of modern orthodontia).

IOW, you probably have nothing to worry about. But even if you do, they can work wonders these days.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 11:09 am
thanks for your replies.

it didn't dawn on me that its possible that her adult teeth are in the back of the baby teeth- I'll have a look later when she gets home.

I'm glad to hear that its possible that its just delayed- now I gotta wait for the dentist appointment.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 11:29 am
Unpleasant as it might be to have baby teeth pulled, it is better than having adult teeth come in crooked, with both the loss of looks, and the expense, discomfort and bother of orthodontia. Don't let the baby teeth distort the position of the adult teeth. Get them out of the way promptly, if they are hanging around too long, and are in the way.

Another fine thing is those plastic coatings on the chewing surfaces, to prevent cavities. They work well.

There are wonderful fruit-flavored topical anesthetics, too, so you don't feel anything. I ask for them for myself, too, at cleanings.

Tzippora

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 1:22 pm
If the adult teeth are there, great, folks have given you great ideas. If there are no adult teeth, just wanted to let you know that I was born without adult eye teeth and went the implant route with great results. feel free to message me and I might be able to recommends my doctors and give you more info.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 1:28 pm
My five year old has had six teeth pulled already so he's walking around like an old man with barely any teeth to chew Very Happy

amother

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 1:53 pm
They say that if teeth come late then they're stronger.

My teeth came in at 5 months. Adult set, about age 5 - 6. I'm left with terrible teeth at age 35. I wish technology comes up with a technique to re-grow teeth! Once you lose them you have BIG problems...

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 2:00 pm
Some kids don't lose teeth before 7, 8. Maybe later?

ahuvah4

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 8:32 pm
My daughter's 8 and no adult teeth yet, Dentist said its ok. She also has like double teeth in the front, its not the adult teeth in yet, the baby teeth get thicker and thicker the older it is.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 9:23 pm
thanks for your replies - I'm starting to feel hopeful that maybe its just delayed..(in general my kids get their first baby teeth very late)

thanks ahuvah4 I already feel better!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 9:37 pm
Just saying, for future reference, kids should be going to the dentist every 6 months, starting at around age 2. That way you'll know what to expect, and can catch problems early.

momX4

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 9:41 pm
You should be taking your kids to the dentist every 6 months. They usually take x-rays once a year. The dentist can tell you whats going on more or less.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 12:36 pm
6 months? Dentists seem to say yearly is good unless told to come back earlier. And yearly x ray? I've never heard of this...

momX4

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 12:53 pm
Ruchel wrote:
6 months? Dentists seem to say yearly is good unless told to come back earlier. And yearly x ray? I've never heard of this...

I purchased a dental plan and they allow for a cleaning and exam every 6 months. My dentist does X-rays on the kids annually unless there is a problem. When you take care of your teeth properly you have a better chance of not needing dental work.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:14 pm
Sure. But then why not monthly? There's a limit to the "keli" you have to provide to get the "bracha" of good teeth. I would assume listening to your doc (if you trust him) is enough. X ray aren't the healthiest thing either esp on kids.

momX4

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:25 pm
Today they use computerized Xrays that have way less radiation than when I was a child. Sometimes the only way to see if there is decay is with an xray.

You should always use a dentist that you trust.

madys

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:49 pm
I have been through this with my middle daughter.

She is now 12 and her smile is getting better, but when she was 8, she had 8 baby teeth pulled out all in one shot. 4 from the top and 4 from the bottom. I don't mean to scare you, this was for my daughter, it might be a different situation for yours.

Since then, she has been working with the orthodontist to correct an underbite and she has never lost another baby tooth, they have all been pulled out. The orthodontist's advice to us is that if we pull the baby teeth, it gives proper placement for the adult teeth. She has had so many more baby teeth pulled that we lost count already!! The last time we went to the oral surgeon, he joked and said, I thought I already pulled out all your teeth!!

She has also had 2 adult teeth pulled because of crowding issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children