Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do they 'get' charts?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 8:39 am
I often hear sticker charts suggested to encourage good behavior. Sometimes, I hear this suggested for kids as young as 2. My son is very nearly 3 and there is NO WAY he can grasp the concept of a reward so far in the future you need to save up stickers for it. He can understand about as far as get ready for bed nicely = extra story. No way he could grasp go to bed nicely 3 days in a row = prize. I feel like he may not get it till close to 4. He does have some slight language delays, but he is cognitively advanced. So I am wondering- when do kids generally start understanding future rewards, setting goals, etc?

zissy2004

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 8:43 am
I do it with my 5 year old and she understands perfectly. I agree 3 is a bit young.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 11:34 am
3 is young, but if you want to do a chart for him, maybe a daily one would work better.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 11:38 am
three is young for a chart like that, but most three-year-olds are happy to consider the sticker a prize. just get him a piece of oaktag and hang it on the wall. you can write "ds's stickers" on it. every time he earns a sticker, let him stick it on the oaktag. you don't need a neat chart, he'll probably like making his own picture out of stickers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics