Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Machlis or not?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 8:58 am
Ok, strange question: We're going on a trip to Israel with our kids and we're going to eat Friday night and shalashudis at various rebbeim of ours. I'm looking forward but they're older and I think I'll be on pins and needles praying that my kids will behave themselves!

Anyway, I wanted to do something different for shabbos lunch and was thinking to call up Machlis and see if we can come. Now I've never been there in my life. Not when I was in Seminary or any other time. Neither has my husband. My husband thinks I'm nuts. I just think that it will be much more relaxed and a different type of enjoyable time than the other meals. Plus, more laid back (I assume. I mean 100-200 people stuffed together? I don't think there will be such formalities there!)

Part of me thinks, that yes this will be an interesting chavaya for my kids. Even with all the chessed they see where we live, they don't see hachnasas orchim on such a great scale! Of course, I plan on giving them a donation. (see here: http://www.machlis.org/donate.php) I'm not trying to freeload or something.

I will call them (Machlis) up and see what they think, but what do you guys think? Is this even an appropriate place for my kids? I assume Machlis raised their kids with all kinds of people coming through their doors. My kids are not crazy sheltered, but we are careful in what videos they see, I google what they can see on youtube and supervise, we're careful in our language. That type of mainstream, maybe yeshivish lite type of censoring.

All of our good friends (at least in this area that's easy enough for my kids to walk to even if the weather is rainy or whatever) have by now moved to US or elsewhere, so while we can probably call a couple of younger (than the Rebbeim) families with kids their age, it's not like we have an especially strong kesher to any of these people. That's why I think going for an interesting/inspiring meal like Machlis makes more sense.

Just helpful answers please.

Willow43

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 9:15 am
Don't do it. I don't know them personally but I've read an article about them years back and they are NOT hosting just to give random people an "experience". They are there to provide for the homeless, the lonely, for Kiruv purposes, and for people who literally have nowhere to go. Also I ate there in seminary over 10 years ago (before I read the article, now I would never) and its REALLY squishy. As a seminary girl it was fun and perfect (they are the nicest people) but I can't imagine going with kids- it would be disastrous.

By the way why can't you just buy food and have a meal in the apartment/hotel you're staying at?!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 9:40 am
Thanks Willow! That's what my husband was thinking. I guess you're right. I guess I should have done it in Seminary too!

We can totally eat food at our apartment - not a problem at all. We'll probably more likely eat out b/c I think people do want us to come and I think playing with other kids will be more fun for my kids.

We're also contemplating walking to the Old City to friends - is that nuts with our kids? Probably a 40 minute walk, right? I think as long as the weather is good, it's definitely doable one way.

wife2

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 9:54 am
I've been there - it is not a place for kids and families, mostly adult strangers.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
We're also contemplating walking to the Old City to friends - is that nuts with our kids? Probably a 40 minute walk, right? I think as long as the weather is good, it's definitely doable one way.

Depends. Where are you staying?

Willow43

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks Willow! That's what my husband was thinking. I guess you're right. I guess I should have done it in Seminary too!

No. Don't feel like u should have gone in seminary. It's not one of those things you "have" to do like the Kotel or kever Rachel or something. If you didn't "need" the meal there was no reason to go. After I read the article about them I felt really bad that I went. Even though I went because my meal cancelled at the last minute! I Could/should have bought my own food and ate it with my friends where we were sleeping.

And yes I think the walk to the old city can be really nice! What area are you staying in?!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:04 pm
another- don't do it. I really like the Machlis's they are incredible, special people, parents and children but it's really meant as a chesed for those who really need it.

BlueRose52

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:17 pm
I would strongly recommend against it.

The Machlis's are an absolutely wonderful family, and I always recommend to people who can handle it to go there. It's truly a remarkable and inspiring experience. And they are such special people to get to know. But with young kids it will probably be a disaster. What I would recommend instead is that if you are in walking distance, then after your meal, walk over to their apartment with your family and spend 5 or 10 minutes there just to see what it's like. If there isn't enough room, maybe you can go in with one kid at a time, while your husband keeps the other one entertained outside. (Right outside their apartment is a big lawn area.)

By the way, if you call to ask them, they'll probably tell you to come with your kids, just because that's who they are, they never turn anyone away, no matter what the reason.

I'll also mention, my information about them is firsthand (I was very close to the whole family for a short while), and spent many, many shabbos meals at their house, but it was well over 15 years ago, so things might have changed a bit since then.

Shuly

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 2:33 pm
Don't go with kids. The meal is geared toward adults and can go for hours. Also, the Machlis family has their own meal beforehand, so their kids do not sit through the whole guest meal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions