Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What would you like to see different in your kid's school?
Previous  1  2

naomi2

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:09 am
smaller classes
enrichment program
healthier lunch and snacks without too much sugar/processing/refined flour

Lillian

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:33 am
No homework! Isn't 8 hours of school enough?! My girls get piled up with homework every day! At times I even have to help them decorate their books, help with projects and study with them!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:34 am
There is a big problem with some schools (circles?) expecting parents to pitch in or help with homework. I don't see how it works with several kids and/or working parents.

STMommy

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:21 am
1. homework should be MEANINGFUL and child can do independently

2. classes for still-young children taught in such a way that normal child development is kept in mind and kids are not expected to sit all day at an age where that is not developmentally appropriate

3. better home/school communication

staten islander

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:25 pm
I love my kids school.They have art,gymnastics, science lab. I do wish the math teacher was better able to instill a love of math rather then teaching by the rote

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:50 pm
a subject called: social skills
reinforcing healthy food choices (snack, lunch)

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

tropicalrainforest

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 3:32 pm
After reading all these posts , I feel like one of the luckiest parents .

My children's school is nearly perfect .
Small classes, differentiated instruction , understanding of children with learning differences ,dedicated professional staff , excellent school leadership and support staff.

After care , real gym curriculum , art , music , drama , social skill groups , healthy , cost effective hot lunches , beautiful , state of the art building ,
Warm caring environment with an emphasis on a love of learning , creating a community of thinkers , respect and a love of Torah and Mitzvot . Our tuition is high but is worth every single penny .

It is an honor and privilege to be able to send my children to such a wonderful place. I would not change a thing .

amother

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 3:49 pm
I say this as a teacher and a parent.

More frugality! We pay a lot of money in tuition to have a whole sheet of paper (PINK) sent home to remind of an event. Use half sheets, use white paper, email etc. other examples:
Nice expensive conference rooms with leather seats when my paycheck is late.
The use of non consumables in the older grades. When I was in school all tests and assignments were marked with a number. There was only one class set that was used class after class year after year. They were numbered and each kid had an assigned number so if one didnt come back you knew whose it was. Kids wrote answers on their own paper and it saved the school a ton!
I wish I could go into my kids school and really help then save hundreds of thousands by operating like a true non profit that is struggling.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 4:22 pm
Teachers that actually LIKE children. Teachers that know how to motivate in a positive way.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 4:27 pm
Food policies.
And the ridiculously early dismissal on Fridays.
The rest, B"H, is pretty good.

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 7:33 pm
Professional teachers who are educated. The children should have a broader education which includes civics and history.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 7:34 am
What is a social skill group?

sky

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:04 am
Ruchel wrote:
What is a social skill group?

I'm assuming where they teach kids social skills
In my son's school they have someone who comes in and does weekly workshops on sharing, joining a group, asking other boys to join, etc. They then act it out, color worksheets, get stickers for practicing what is taught, and practice the skills during recess in small supervised groups.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:12 am
We took our son out of a school for several reasons was safety

amother

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
We took our son out of a school for several reasons was safety

* one reason was safety

Raw

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 11:34 am
tropicalrainforest wrote:
After reading all these posts , I feel like one of the luckiest parents .

My children's school is nearly perfect .
Small classes, differentiated instruction , understanding of children with learning differences ,dedicated professional staff , excellent school leadership and support staff.

After care , real gym curriculum , art , music , drama , social skill groups , healthy , cost effective hot lunches , beautiful , state of the art building ,
Warm caring environment with an emphasis on a love of learning , creating a community of thinkers , respect and a love of Torah and Mitzvot . Our tuition is high but is worth every single penny .

It is an honor and privilege to be able to send my children to such a wonderful place. I would not change a thing .

Can I ask you where you live? Sounds like a dream.

Raw

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 11:41 am
Healthy food. And no, popcorn and pretzels are not healthy snacks. In fact, why do you feel the need to provide snacks at all? Can't parents send for their kids?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children