Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving within the same building

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 9:15 pm
We will iy"h be moving to a new apartment within the same building. I am trying to figure out how to move. Do we need a moving company? Kinda doesnt make sense to me to have to pay for a company to move my stuff from one apartment to another in the same building. But then again, how will I get all my furniture and other belongings to our new apartment? Does it make sense to say that we will try to get friends and family to help and do it piece by piece, one room at a time?
Any ideas here?

momX4

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 9:18 pm
You can move the stuff and pay a moving company to move the heavy furniture. They may do this happily, since its a small job that can easily follow another job.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 11:03 pm
We did that and used movers. It turned out to be considerably cheaper than a "real" move because there was no truck involved, no travel cost or time to consider. You may be surprised about how much stuff you actually have and how much work it really it is. We found the move to be exhausting, even with the movers and the famiiarity of the building, so I'm glad we had the help.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 11:14 pm
My father did it with a few friends, all in their 70s, and he owns a formal dining room set and massive 1950s bedroom set. But Dad is, well, something.

Instead of a moving company, I'd look for "man with a truck" people who can help with heavy furniture. Move everything else yourself.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 3:03 pm
Thanks everyone. I guess I will start by getting a quote from movers. Then see who would be available to help and take it from there. I will explore all options available and then decide

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 3:17 pm
a couple of brawny men could probably do the job for cheaper, if you know any.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 3:24 pm
I did this. I hired 'lifters' (from Craigslist) for the furniture and did the rest myself (to save money)

happy chick

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 3:38 pm
we also moved from one apt to another within the same buidling. we did it all on our own. dh got a few friends and borrowed a wheely thing for the heavier stuff. some of the drawers we didnt even bother emptying out. it wasnt that tough. but your dh has to be willing to shlep, sweat and get his hands dirty. its a bigger job than you think Smile
good luck! and the next move should be out of your building and into your own home

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 6:11 pm
I used to do it myself, moving from a one bed apartment to another just a few streets away, with brothers or friends to shlep the heavier stuff/ furniture and a hired van for the day. However, I had no furniture of value and if it got broken, didn't really worry me too much.

If you have very heavy or good furniture, proper movers are experienced and insured, and could move it in half a day or less, minimising costs. If not, bear in mind that stuff is highly likely to be broken in some way, and it will take amateurs way longer to do the same job, and they are then not available to help with all the smaller boxes and stuff.

I have always found it takes the most time to move all my "stuff", but I am a big hoarder.

Our last move was the easiest, although the most expensive, as it was the first big move since getting married, the first with furniture I cared about destroying, and the first time to an apartment on the 4th floor walkup. So no question about movers, and they made a massive difference to my sanity, it was really worth the money to have that spare energy at the end of the day to get the kitchen organized enough to prepare a meal and snacks for everyone, including the poor movers who carried furniture up and down those stairs for 10 hours straight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating