Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crockpot Lasagna: Eitzah Needed!

Hannah!

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:43 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

mumof1

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 7:36 am
I never heard of this, let me know how it turns out.
I do suggest adding liquid to the crockpot before shabbos so the lasagna does not dry out.

Chani

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:30 am
I'd like to hear how it comes out too. Two of my kids are not cholent fans, so it would be nice to change things up occasionally.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:34 am
Won't the noodles become gross and mushy?

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:37 am
have u tried the recipe during the week to see if it works regularly?

I agree w/ defy-I think the noodles will be way overcooked and mushy.

or they will totally dry out.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:24 am
Ithink it might dry out, but what you can try is put tons of sauce on the bottom of the pot and stick the lasagna on top.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:25 am
Any experience I've had with noodles sitting in sauce too long is that they lose their texture and become very mushy.

Chani

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:29 am
maybe it is okay if you use "no-boil" noodles.

Hannah!

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:46 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:54 am
I've tried leaving things on warm and they turn moldy. I would test it out when it's not shabbos and see if it works. You don't want to be stuck with moldy food on shabbos.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:33 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Any experience I've had with noodles sitting in sauce too long is that they lose their texture and become very mushy.

The no boil noodles I think need tons of sauce.
I am a little wary of the keep warm setting. There are certain "in between" temperatures which food shouldn't be left at for too long, or the food goes off.
Some crockpots keep warm setting are actually quite hot but some aren't.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:38 pm
I've never liked anything I left in a crockpot until Shabbos morning besides cholent - it turns all brown and tastes overcooked. Well cholent I guess is like that too, but it's SUPPOSED to be like that, so I like it that way! (I mean the brown part)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 9:52 pm
sorry - never heard of lasagna in a crockpot!
I was just going to mention that if I have enough time fully cook my cholent before shabbos, I leave it on warm and it's good (my husband prefers it that way so it's not overcooked)

Hannah!

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:25 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

YALT

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:38 pm
can I get the recipe anyways?
I'd like to try it.
We don't make cholent, but were just discussing last week that we need to start doing s/t for our guests.

Hannah!

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:56 pm
edit

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:27 am
Hannah! wrote:
I don't have a set recipe for it. I went to recipezaar.com, and searched for "crockpot lasagna" recipes. According to the reviews, it cooks rather well (not as well as baked in an oven, but, well enough). However, I have no clue how well it will maintain on a "warm" setting for several hours.

Try this during the week:

Instead of cooking the lasagne and then keeping it warming from 5 p.m. (or whenever candle lighting is) Friday until lunchtime Shabbat morning/ afternoon, brown the meat first, assemble the lasagne in the crockpot and just before candle lighting, put it on the lowest setting - without cooking it all together first.

I make fleishig lasagne a lot (although never in the crock pot) and it's quite tastey... tell your hubby to live a little! LOL

Hannah!

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 11:24 am
edit

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 10:16 pm
lubcoralsprings wrote:
I've tried leaving things on warm and they turn moldy. I would test it out when it's not shabbos and see if it works. You don't want to be stuck with moldy food on shabbos.

I don't know what kind of crockpot yopu used, but something is wrong with it if your food got moldy. I have been using the warm setting on my crockpot for seven years without ever having an issue....

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 12:11 pm
I would lower it to only a teeny bit less than the highest setting. Putting mine on medium also makes the food moldy.

About the lasagna, I think it should be fine on shabbos morning, if you can resists the temptation of opening it constantly to ‘baby-sit’ it. then the moisture escapes and you’re in trouble. Why don’t you try it for dinner one day during the week?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus