Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
6 year old boy - what do you suggest?

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:01 pm
my 6 year old is driving my nuts from boredom - I think I dont have age/gender appr. games?toys for him...
we have clicks.lego. playsticks. magna tiles. webbies.... as well as books and tapes...
what does your child fo when they come home from yeshiva?

sky

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:27 pm
best after yeshiva activity is to run around and Play outside

Isramom8

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:48 pm
Puzzles.

Dress-up clothes.

Building a club house with sibs or friends, indoors or out.

Music, like a toy piano, or a real keyboard, or a book with a built in piano keyboard that teaches a few songs.

Or the obvious: computer games, cell phone games, a digital camera or phone to use to make videos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:55 pm
A ball. A bicycle. A basketball hoop. Sports equipment.

Sidewalk chalk. A magnifying glass & bug-catching gear.

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:57 pm
hi there. thanks for responding.
let me clarify .
here in ny its too cold to be out to play
he's home for close to 2 hours without much company. only a little bro that enjoys wrecking his stuff.
I need to put up dinner ( cuz im typing all this from work embarrassed ) then and can play a bit with hom ebut also need 9 want?) to relax a bit..
so im looking for self play options...

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:58 pm
sky wrote:
best after yeshiva activity is to run around and Play outside

Are you in an area affected by the Winter That Will Never End?

During the summer, I LIVE outside with my boys, but this winter has been the worst I've ever experienced. Even completely bundled up, it's too cold outside to play for longer than 5-10 minutes. And the ice is slippery and omnipresent...

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:10 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

During the summer, I LIVE outside with my boys, but this winter has been the worst I've ever experienced. Even completely bundled up, it's too cold outside to play for longer than 5-10 minutes. And the ice is slippery and omnipresent...

yup yup yup. I'm the crazy mom who lets her son shovel the ice ... I stand by the doorway shivering away while he gives out some energy.... then I needa yell so loud that the whole neighborhood hears me... ( scaredof lifting him as im preg and dont want it kicking the baby) not my 6 yr old... hes bh a good child my younger one is a challange...

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 1:21 pm
cars, cars, and more cars... Smile

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:59 pm
Story tapes, small projects- bought from the craft store- like the felt pictures that come with markers, the small foam squares that can be arranged to make something nice or the color by number coloring books. My little brother learnt how to use a knife from age 6- He helped cut up vegetables for salad, playmobil toys that are only for him, age appropiate tasks like windexing the table, mopping the floor, even washing dishes.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:26 pm
My son is 5, almost 6. After school (when no homework) activities he does if not playing outside:

- read books, kid magazines
- draw pics, practices writing, coloring, cutting paper and using glue sticks to make art stuff
- my son loves playing with cars, planes, trains, boats... Etc. he has cardboard bricks, wood blocks, Legos, and train tracks and builds complex cities for his toy vehicles.
- toy dinosaurs
- new interests includes yoyos, jenga game
- usually only before Shabbat an educational video
-video chat with grandparents on computer/smartphone
- occasionally chores like bringing his laundry, putting silverware from the dishwasher away, sweeping if he made crumbs from afternoon snack

My son is only child so far and we encourage self play. He's learned to play by himself because I can't entertain him all the time.

If he tells me he is bored, then I tell him I'll find a chore or he has to clean. That usually stops the complaints and he'll pick something to do

wispalover

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:37 pm
Imhappy! wrote:
hi there. thanks for responding.
let me clarify .
here in ny its too cold to be out to play
he's home for close to 2 hours without much company. only a little bro that enjoys wrecking his stuff.
I need to put up dinner ( cuz im typing all this from work embarrassed ) then and can play a bit with hom ebut also need 9 want?) to relax a bit..
so im looking for self play options...

I let my son do starfall.com for a while when he complains he is bored. Educational and fun.

granolamom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 6:53 pm
right now my 6 yo son will stay busy for about 30 min with a white board and markers.
I get some mileage out of special items like a ball of rubber bands or a whole package of paper clips. that will keep him busy for a while. its been a rough winter, they really want/need to go out and play.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 7:44 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

It is freezing and lots of snow (NJ).

But we they are bundled up and running around. Monday after the snow they were outside for at least an hour digging and building. They came in for supper and went out for another 1/2 hour.

When there isn't snow they play basketball or catch football. Or tag. Ride their bikes, etc.

For a toy idea I recently bought Playmobil on e-bay because I heard that was a good toy, it hasn't get them as busy as I would like.

They also like Playstix a lot. I got an imitation for 1/2 price. They enjoy that a lot.

Other indoor activities:
Perler beeds
Activity books (like dot to dot, find the differences)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children