Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I invented an adorable Doll

amother
White

Post Sat, May 10 2014, 11:10 pm
I invented an adorable doll. It has some similarities in look and feel to a cabbage patch doll...but it has a very unique look and story.

How do I find out if theres potential/desirability?

I made one. How do I protect my idea without spending major money?

How do I publicize it? How do I know who to trust for advice and in general?

Are there any frum doll/toy manufacturers who cold advise me on what to do next?

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 1:18 am
get a patent attorney, a provisional patent application, file for the regular patent (RPA), create a presentation that can be worked with your prototype for potential manufacturers and buyers, choose your manufacturer and start marketing! Your patent attorney can probably help you understand how the presentations work and who are likely manufacturers for your product. Good luck!

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 3:07 am
In addition to what TwinsMommy said above, be careful about showing your idea around and online as there are unscrupulous people that would think nothing of adopting your idea and passing it off as their own before your product is patented.

ImaMum

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 4:56 am
Write down and take a picture/make a drawing of ur idea and prototype and post it to urself. Do not open the envelope when it arrives. Keep it for the future in case u need to prove it was ur idea first. This is because the mail will hav a date stamp on it tho it is known as the 'poor mans' copyright. And it wont necessarily be held in a court of law as evidence as its easy to tamper with. Maybe u could send it to ur lawyers office care of ur name and ask them not to open it and keep it on file?
Have you had a google on copyright laws? Im from UK and u dont say where ur from so laws and costs of patents will vary.
Good luck! Very Happy

Butterfly

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 8:51 am
Wow, sounds like a fabulous invention. Thumbs Up

(Where were you when my kids grew up??)

I agree with the excellent advice of the other posters.

This is too good of an idea to hand over to lurkers who seek to make an easy dollar.

Looking forward excitedly to treat my grand-kids with healthy treats - guilt free.

Wishing you lots of luck. Cheers

joyful mom

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 9:33 am
Sign a "Non-Disclosure Agreement" (NDA), also known as a confidentiality agreement, before discussing your idea with a manufacturer or another party.

amother

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 9:43 am
OP here. Thanks!

I cant imagine any Patent Attorney even giving me an appointment without me shelling out five hundred dollars. Thats what high powered attorneys charge....Are there patent attorneys who would offer me a consulltation for free, to start? I guess I can call around. (Im in NY, any ideas?)

amother

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 10:05 am
groisamomma wrote:
In addition to what TwinsMommy said above, be careful about showing your idea around and online as there are unscrupulous people that would think nothing of adopting your idea and passing it off as their own before your product is patented.

Maybe this thread should be deleted.

little_mage

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks!

I cant imagine any Patent Attorney even giving me an appointment without me shelling out five hundred dollars. Thats what high powered attorneys charge....Are there patent attorneys who would offer me a consulltation for free, to start? I guess I can call around. (Im in NY, any ideas?)

Call your local business school and ask about a small business association. There's a formal, national organization, but the name escapes me right now. They can probably help you find a lawyer.

Ashrei

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 1:45 pm
Is this something the parnassah initiative helps with? maybe at least call them for advice?

(sounds like a great idea op, hatzlacha!)

octopus

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 3:18 pm
yeah, if I were you I would edit the thread title. why give out your ideas?

seeker

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 10:21 pm
Not sure where you are but NYC has small business centers that offer a limited amount of pro bono (free) legal and business advice. Won't be full service but should be helpful in figuring out where to start. You might have to wait a bit to get an appointment. You can start here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/sbs/ny.....shtml

joyful mom

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks!

A friend told me about Trademarks the Spot for a patent attorney (google "Trademarks the spot" to find their website). It says on their website they provide free consultation and have set price packages depending on the service you need. They are located in NYC. Perhaps call them for more info.

Sherri

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 12:39 am
And here's another site to explore: http://www.sba.gov/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics