Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
YTT in Lakewood
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 4:47 am
Also, how does YTT's tuition run in comparison with the other schools?

Emotional

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 4:57 am
[/quote]
I have a terrible opinion of all the schools in Lakewood... I wanted to point out that YTT is among the least awful of the schools in Lakewood.[/quote]

What, may I ask, do you mean by that?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 5:06 am
amother wrote:
how old is your son?

Is he ready for a regular yeshiva yet? Can you try to send him to STARS or Ready Set Grow before he enters a large school?

You should probably try for one of the new/smaller schools since it seems that your son needs a smaller classroom setting.

We don't yet know if he will be ready by the end of the year for yeshiva, meanwhile
we have to start applying. He very likely may be ready. He will be turning 5 in January IYH.
I was assured by several experts that STARS is not appropriate for him, he doesn't have a speech issue. I'm not clear on what kind of program Ready Set Grow is (Is that a preschool? A therapy center? etc).
It is also very important to me that wherever I send him should have transportation, as I do not (yet) drive.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 5:10 am
If there are any new schools opening up, I would love to know about it. A new school would have a double benefit for my son.
1)likely to have a smaller class
2)a new school would have a touch of humility and would be less likely to turn us away off the bat, given that he is now in LECC.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 5:17 am
amother wrote:
I know 2 people that send to YTT, one is a neighbor that came from a Chassidish/Gur home but became MO when she got married and her two boys go there, the other is a woman from a Chassidish community originally (Monroe, Skvere? I forget where) that dresses like a slut today. Seriously, I don't just mean the sweeping denim skirt and V-neck tops with a snood that barely covers 1/2 her head. I mean the kind of "davka" look she and her ex-Chassidish husband both have in that they haven't grown up yet and are still busy rebelling against their parents and former communities.

Then why did they choose to live in a yeshivish (and shall we say, judgemental) community like Lakewood?
If Rabbi Gelbwachs is approaching this properly, it's likely that he feels children shouldn't suffer for the confusion & poor choices of their parents. It's nice to see a school that says "this is not about our kavod and our elite reputation; it's about raising the next generation of Jews to love Hashem and his Torah."

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
I know 2 people that send to YTT, one is a neighbor that came from a Chassidish/Gur home but became MO when she got married and her two boys go there, the other is a woman from a Chassidish community originally (Monroe, Skvere? I forget where) that dresses like a slut today. Seriously, I don't just mean the sweeping denim skirt and V-neck tops with a snood that barely covers 1/2 her head. I mean the kind of "davka" look she and her ex-Chassidish husband both have in that they haven't grown up yet and are still busy rebelling against their parents and former communities.

Then why did they choose to live in a yeshivish (and shall we say, judgemental) community like Lakewood?
If Rabbi Gelbwachs is approaching this properly, it's likely that he feels children shouldn't suffer for the confusion & poor choices of their parents. It's nice to see a school that says "this is not about our kavod and our elite reputation; it's about raising the next generation of Jews to love Hashem and his Torah."

Lakewood is not yeshivish. Maybe it was at one time, and maybe it still has a higher concentration of yeshivish people than other communities but for the most part it is not "yeshivish" with all the changes it has undergone over the last few years. It has become a haven for people looking to run away from their former communities and cut the ties to those that "tell them how to live their lives" (in the words of one of them). And yes, we are as judgemental as every Jewish community I know.

Second bolded, he does have a softer spot for those kids than the other schools. He is certainly more open to diversity in his school. The family mentioned above has kids with MAJOR issues, learning and behaviorally and I know noone else wanted to touch them with a ten-foot pole.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
If there are any new schools opening up, I would love to know about it. A new school would have a double benefit for my son.
1)likely to have a smaller class
2)a new school would have a touch of humility and would be less likely to turn us away off the bat, given that he is now in LECC.

A new school is still learning the ropes and less likely to have a program for this set up yet.

Lots of kids graduate LECC and go into regular schools in Lakewood. Which school do you think you'd fit into (if your ds didn't have these issues)? Most have programs in place and are likely to take you. It's certainly worth a try.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 8:25 am
Every school has kids that were in lecc. Why don't you find a school that you would send to if your son was in regular playgroup and apply and see if you get in.
I have heard that ytt boys have better middos fourteen years ago when my cousin chose to send there over the cheder or tashbar or orchos hachAim.
Being that a few of her boys today are off the derech starting from eighth grade I don't believe this middos thing. My cousin also claimed a few of ytt rabbeim ruined her boys.

So op ask around people that you know if you want the truth. From my experience every person that is in a school to a stranger praises their child's school and won't say the truth if they hate it.
I have seen people praise their child's s school and knock the more popular school And then two years later switch all of their children to the more popular school when they finally got in. People when they vs t get into a school will knock it nonstop. So it's very hard to get a fair answer from a message board if you don't know the people answering.
People's whose husbands went to ytt, did any of their husvands go on to college and they were on par.
As far as I know boys that graduated from ytt and then went on to out of town high schools were way behind in English then their Brooklyn peers.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 8:33 am
Well as I said we're fairly new to Lakewood, I'm not so familiar with the boys schools here. My girls go to Bnos Penina. My husband is yeshivish, "white shirt", & working. I would say we are yeshivish with an out-of-town mentality. My husband actually did grow up out of town, he went to a school where the type of yarmulka you wore was irrelevant, as long as you all kept the same Torah.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 8:44 am
Emotional wrote:

I have a terrible opinion of all the schools in Lakewood... I wanted to point out that YTT is among the least awful of the schools in Lakewood.[/quote]

What, may I ask, do you mean by that?[/quote]
I was wondering the same thing. What does she hate about Lakewood schools?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:36 am
STARS is not for children with speech delays. STARS caters to children with and type of educational or social delay. When you speak to the board of Ed. tell that you want the "non public" option for special ed. I'm not sure but I thought the child has to be 5 before January? January being the cut off month. I could be wrong. I kept my child is stars until 5 1/2. Only now did he begin primary in yeshiva and is turning 6 this month.

ready set grow is a pre school program that has a primary class as the oldest level. I'm not sure but I would assume that since it's not a regular yeshiva it would be more laid back.

Really, I think you need to speak to one of the "experts" in town. They discuss your child with you and sometimes will also want to meet him. Then they can recommend the appropriate school. The main person who people consulted with was a lady named Ziva Kriger. Unfortunately she suddenly became sick and needs and big refuah shelaimah so she is not available now. Perhaps someone here knows of another name that the op can consult with? I know there are a few other ladies who assist in choosing the appropriate schools.

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 8:58 pm
I was about to start a thread about YTT in lakewood but in the meantime came across this thread.
I found useful information on this thread so far but just wanted to know if anyone has any updates or anything else to add to this thread.

We are looking into YTT among a couple of other schools for next year. I know we have some time before we apply but I would like to find out and do my inquiries before the time comes to apply.

I already more or less heard about the "type" of crowd that sends there. I am more interested in hearing about the principal...the way the school is run...atmosphere etc.

If anyone has anything to add I would love to hear.

TIA!

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:45 pm
Don't send to ytt,!!!

My ds went there. He got beaten up and molested by many boys in pre 1 a!!

The rebbe left all the boys outside with no super ion for over 10 minutes. When we confronted the principal we were told " but you begged us to accept your son and now you are complaining?"

He has some gehennim waiting for him. Whatever you do - stay away!

I moved out of Lakewood because my snow as traumatized!

The rebbe didn't even call me right when he found out. He sent my son home on the bus at normal time and made him sit through the rest of the day after being abused. They should both go straight to gehennin

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:47 pm
The rebbe told me that at least once a year something like this happens and he is sorry it was my son.

What chutzpah!

By the way I was also paying full tuition so there was no special status there

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:53 pm
Oh my! That sounds awful amother. This is the first I'm hearing of such a thing happening there but either way it must have been so hard to go through something like that. These stories scare me!!

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 10:34 pm
fyi, the english principal became sgan menahel...and he is working very hard on stopping any bullying. My son was verbally bullied by other kids and he worked on it right away. They seem to be trying to better the school. I know for next year they didnt take any modernish pple. They got a group of more yeshivish alumni and only accepted more yeshivish/frummer pple. I am very happy about that, because the past couple of years the school has really been taking everyone and anyone. My son is in one of the lower grades, and I am very nervous what will happen when he gets older due to the type of parent body in his class. It seems like the school got alot of complaints from more frummer parents and therefore they are cracking down on who they take in.

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:54 pm
I am the original OP of this thread.
As it turned out, we interviewed at YTT, but my son was irritable and uncooperative at the interview, and he was not accepted.
Oh well.
As things stand now, we sent our info to the Vaad and are waiting to hear back from them.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 9:18 pm
Op would you mind sharing which other schools you applied to or looked into?

Just curios which other schools people 'tend' to apply to along with YTT? we're looking into a school with more or less the same type of crowd as ytt (father working crowd)

Thanks

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 9:29 pm
I'm not OP, but orchos chaim, tashbar, kol torah have working pple

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 9:34 pm
What's kol torah? where is it located?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children