Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Ad for sensitive kids earrings?!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 9:05 am
My little girls are allergic to most earrings. Recently, I saw an ad for earrings for kids that are better for sensitive ears than 14k gold. It was either in binah, ami or mishpacha... It also listed which store carry them.

Problem is : My bad memory!! Can't remember name of it or where to go. Anyone here knows?!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Scrabble123

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 9:46 am
Children with sensitive ears should get a hoop for a back. Most stores will change the back to a hoop for you for children's earrings.

You can also go with 18K gold or of course platinum (but you may still need a hoop). There is something much cheaper. It is a type of surgical metal that they also say is ok.

Also, please take off your children's earrings before bathing them and leave them off for the entire night. (That goes for children even without sensitive earrings).

lfab

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 9:51 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Also, please take off your children's earrings before bathing them and leave them off for the entire night. (That goes for children even without sensitive earrings).

You can't take the earrings out for the first few weeks after they get them or the hole closes up really quickly (as in only a few hours). I would love to know more about where to get earrings for those who are sensitive/allergic to regular earrings

Scrabble123

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:04 am
lfab wrote:
You can't take the earrings out for the first few weeks after they get them or the hole closes up really quickly (as in only a few hours). I would love to know more about where to get earrings for those who are sensitive/allergic to regular earrings

That's right, but you should be wiping them daily with alcohol wipes. After those few weeks, removing them daily is a must.

I am allergic. My Ear swells up and I get hives all over my neck and chin. Children whose ear lobe just gets red and hot (may or may not be allergic). They 1. need better hygiene 2. may be helped by 18+ K gold, platinum, or surgical steel and 3. can usually handle even 14K gold or less with a HOOP in the back. I usually get platinum earrings, but can usually handle 18+K gold rings.

BTW the allergy is usually caused by a nickel allergy, which is why surgical steel or a higher Karat of gold (means less nickel mixed in) usually helps, but not always.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Tue, May 20 2014, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:13 am
also keep the ears clean & prevent soreness by applying bacitracin to the ear lobes & the earring backs

Scrabble123

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:19 am
Also, note that it must be yellow gold because white gold often times contains nickel.

lfab

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:49 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Also, note that it must be yellow gold because white gold often times contains nickel.

Good to know. We got my daughter earrings that were steal coated with 24k white gold and she broke out in terrible hives.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:57 am
lfab wrote:
Good to know. We got my daughter earrings that were steal coated with 24k white gold and she broke out in terrible hives.

Did you ever take her to an allergist?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 6:14 pm
I found the ad in Binah. It' called the Cameo Collection and it tells which retailers carry it in all different cities. I'd rather not type the whole list so if you can say where you are, I can tell you which retailer. Otherwise I'll try to type it up for you later.

Kitten

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 6:27 pm
lfab wrote:

24K white gold does not exist. 24K gold is pure gold and it is not white. "White gold" is usually rhodium plated gold or some kind of alloy that may contain nickel.

zaq

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 9:13 pm
What you want is earrings with surgical steel posts or wires. They don't have to be special for children or a special brand. Any reputable jeweler should have some, though selection may not be that great. Many sellers of costume jewelry also carry earrings with surgical steel wires or posts.

Many people are sensitive to 14K or even 18K gold. It's mostly the nickel in the gold--nickel is a notorious allergen--but it can be other elements in the alloy as well. If you had pure 24K gold it wouldn't be a problem--but the earrings would be so soft they would quickly get dented and bent into oblivion.

papermageling

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 11:14 pm
Titanium and Niobium earrings are absolutely the most hypoallergenic earrings I've ever found (some types of stainless steel are nearly as good, but that's much more confusing). I cannot wear any gold or silver earrings for more than a few hours (and my ears get a bit yucky when I do) without my ears bleeding, and I cannot wear anything less hypoallergenic than that at all. I can wear titanium and niobium without any pain, itching, redness, or pus.

There are some more mainstream companies that sell these earrings, but they're expensive. So, I get most of my earrings on Etsy. I also sometimes get titanium hooks and replace the originals on other earrings I'd like to wear. I ordered these and these to see if I could actually wear earrings at all. They're particularly good for wearing at night and wearing to keep the piercing happy and healthy. Etsy has a lot of prettier, more elaborate designs using titanium or niobium wires as well. Always make sure it's the wire or post that's titanium or niobium though!

grace413

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 1:21 am
http://www.simplywhispers.com/

Hypoallergenic surgical steel earring and other jewelry, reasonably priced.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics