Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Workplace so unorganized...

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 2:49 am
I work for a heimish charity, a small organization. I have a 'boss' but he isn't really an authority, just the one who tells me what to do. The office is very small and very unprofessional. We get paid by hour, no vacation pay etc.

Anyway, I'm due any minute now and meant to be working until the baby arrives, but my boss refuses to discuss plans for when I'm away. My super organized brain can't cope - knowing that I'm going to have this baby one of these days and then have no clue what's going on with work. I am planning to work part time from home as soon as possible but boss won't discuss it at all. The work is time sensitive, and no one else is trained to do it. I guess really I should just stop caring - it's their fault if they're not organized, but it's doing my head in.

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:33 am
I sound like you. Difference is I'm a teacher. School was looking for a substitute for me. They had a potential person lined up. I had my baby 2 weeks early.

During that time my students had about 2 or 3 substitutes. Most days they had free periods. Finally after about a week the substitute they had lined up came in. She was unprepared and don't know how qualified for the position.

(I can't say what the parents were thinking)

I did not give it much thought for the first 2 weeks. I stuck with the mindset of "it is what it is". I took phone calls from the substitute to give her some direction. Other than that I kept on saying it's not my job.

I will say that during the first few days after my baby I said that I would not let the school sucker me in to come back before my 6 weeks were up. In the end I went back at 4.5 weeks. My baby was doing well, it was for a minimum amount of days (was at end of year) and I felt I needed to do right by my students. (Getting paid - no maternity pay - was good too)

Students were happy I came back to end the year and prepare them for finals. They would have learned more information if my baby wasn't early but it wasn't my choice and everyone will live.

A few teachers in my school keep on quoting a principal from 20 years ago who always said "in 100 no one will remember and it will not have mattered" meaning don't take life so seriously it will all work out in the end
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics