Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Anyone have the Braun Hand Blender for $29.00?

anon

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:08 pm
I want to buy an immersion blender to puree my soups. Everyone seems to rave how wonderful they are, but when I bought one a few years ago, the soup would go splattering out of the pot all over the kitchen, and the vegetable chunks wouldn't puree well. I'm pretty sure I had this immersion blender, and I hear that ppl are happy with their Braun's. So I don't want to buy a more expensive one if I don't have to. Does it make sense that I had such problems with my braun the first time? Do you think that product was a lemon, or I'm not working it properly? Please answer soon, I'd like to go to Bed bath and beyond in a few hours.

JMto2

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:13 pm
I have the braun one I am really happy with it I would say you are using it wrong you have to keep it on the bottom of the pot do not keep on lifting it.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:18 pm
Were you sticking it in the pot and then pressing the button to turn it on? Or were you turning it on and then sticking it in the pot.
The way I do it:
I stick it in the pot all the way to the bottom(basically touching the bottom), and turn it on, and then I leave it in the position for a good while, letting everything whirl around and all the vegetables will whirl through the blender part. Then as I see the soup is starting to puree I lift the blender a bit and let the soup whirl around in that position, and I lift it higher and higher slowly so all the vegetables get whirled through the blender, and I move the blender slowly around the pot. You want to see a nice movement from the soup itself (not just you moving the blender), if the soup isn't moving, it's not going through the knives. Which means you either need to move the blender around more, or the knives aren't sharp enough.

happymom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:43 pm
I really like mine.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:45 pm
Just want to post a warning with these blenders - make sure to unplug before washing - my neighbor was cleaning hers and she acccidentally turned it on - now she needs surgery !!!

Good Luck!!

yoyosma

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:46 pm
You must put the blender all the way to the bottom of the pot and move it around from there. If you lift it at all, it will splatter. It gives that warning in the instruction manual.

rise above

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 1:04 pm
only1 wrote:
Were you sticking it in the pot and then pressing the button to turn it on? Or were you turning it on and then sticking it in the pot.
The way I do it:
I stick it in the pot all the way to the bottom(basically touching the bottom), and turn it on, and then I leave it in the position for a good while, letting everything whirl around and all the vegetables will whirl through the blender part. Then as I see the soup is starting to puree I lift the blender a bit and let the soup whirl around in that position, and I lift it higher and higher slowly so all the vegetables get whirled through the blender, and I move the blender slowly around the pot. You want to see a nice movement from the soup itself (not just you moving the blender), if the soup isn't moving, it's not going through the knives. Which means you either need to move the blender around more, or the knives aren't sharp enough.

I do it the same way and am really happy with mine as well

(the attatchment piece which defy enlightened me about in the other thread is also a great plus!)

technic

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 1:09 pm
have just got a new one and am totally in love w it Very Happy

queen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 1:41 pm
I have the $30 braun and it's great.
came with diff. blades for bottom of hand held "thing'ama'ging"
blending/whipping etc.

Hope you bought it with a 20% coupon off from BBB!!!

anon

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 2:02 pm
Thanks for your responses. I will try it out, and BBB has a great return policy if I still can't manage to get it to work.

And queen, I am now off to BBB with a whole collection of 20% and $5 off coupons, so I'm covered Very Happy

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
Just want to post a warning with these blenders - make sure to unplug before washing - my neighbor was cleaning hers and she acccidentally turned it on - now she needs surgery !!!

Good Luck!!
ditto, and if you have young kids, hide it between uses. My nine yr. old son wanted to use it to "make" tuna. I said no, we'll mash it the regular way.

An hour later, he came crying into the room I was in, and his finger was bleeding Pale shock he told me that he "wanted to see how the blender worked", and put his finger on the center pivot, while he pressed the on switch and it was going but his finger slipped. : Rolling Eyes

I called Hatzalah; and didn't even want to look. Sad He sliced off a teeny piece of his finger tip....BH, he didn't need grafting, and it healed nicely. Smile

mumsy23

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 2:34 pm
I have it. It also comes with an "onion chopper" attachment and I LOVE it!! I use it for all my non-soup chopping needs. When baby was little, I would stick fresh fruit in it and it would make the best purees in minutes! DEFINITELY WORTH IT!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 3:16 pm
I'm not sure what company mine is, but it's great! Are the different companies really different?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 3:19 pm
Mine is cuisinart and it's great.

withhumor

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 6:31 pm
I got my Braun for $10 on sale and it’s almost 10 years now going strong. Always keep it all the way on the bottom of whatever it is that you are mixing. If you can, wiggle the pot with one hand while you hold it down with the other to keep the pieces moving around and around. I use it for soups, dips, sauces, tomato dip, compote, baby food, and anything I need to mix and I’m lazy do do without.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 6:37 pm
rise above wrote:

I do it the same way and am really happy with mine as well

(the attatchment piece which defy enlightened me about in the other thread is also a great plus!)

So you figured it out! Smile

ssbarnes

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:10 pm
I have a Proctor Silex. It was $9.00, but it only has one speed and no accessories.. I wasn't sure if I would use it all that much, so I didn't wat to spend too much. I have used it at least once a week for the last 6 months and I have never been disappointed.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:40 pm
Aiee. Just saw the post from TsenaRena about keeping the parts from a child. Glad your son ended up okay. Aiee. That is scary.

I like immersion blenders that are two parts. The part with the plug and then the blade. I keep them seperate and immediately unplug and take them apart when washing. That's for my milchig. Actually my fleishig is proctor silex and it's annoying that it's a one piece. I keep that out of reach of little fingers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars