Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Relocating to East Coast - but where to??

busymother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:58 am
We are seriously considering moving to the East Coast as I want to live closer to my family in Brooklyn and Lakewood. We have a few issues that need consideration:
1. my children are special ed, so need a school that can provide the extra help
2. friends are a huge factor, looking for a warm, yeshivish community with lots of kids.
3. I hate the noise and traffic of Brooklyn and Lakewood, so def looking for something a little more suburban like. (coming from Chicago, and love it here but really miss my family)
4. Affordability? Is that a word anymore??
That's all I can think of for now... thanks in advance!
P.S. we were thinking of South Fallsburg but know nothing about it...anyone have info?

smiledr

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 11:01 am
Edison has a big yeshivish community (shul=agudah school=shaarei tzion) 35 mins from Brooklyn 45 mins from Lakewood. Housing is ok - moderately priced. Nice community, warm and nonjudgmental .

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 1:30 pm
I don't know that you'll be able to find one place that has everything, so you'll need to prioritize. South Fallsburg is definitely not going to feel like a city to you, but the year-round frum community there is relatively small, and while I don't know for sure, I doubt you'd have very good therapy options there. I would suggest looking into Passaic. Another option could be Bayswater.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 2:19 pm
Willowbrook, Staten island
Close to Brooklyn and Lakewood. Affordable housing, good schools, and warm community!

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 3:08 pm
I thought of SI, but when they said they want yeshivish and are considering South Fallsburg, I don't know that they'd be happy with SI, which has some baalebatish families, but is not a place I'd describe as yeshivish.

Aetrsnrady

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 3:40 pm
I would say Bayswater. It's in NYC, which is usually more generous when it comes to special ed services and close enough to most of the yeshiva/Jewish special ed programs in five towns, Queens, and Brooklyn depending on what the kids' needs are.
Also coming from Chicago, you will appreciate proximity to and variety of kosher shopping/restaurants.

Kugglegirl

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 4:53 pm
busymother wrote:

1. my children are special ed, ?

Can I just introduce a new concept to the frum world? That when we speak about people with disabilities or special needs, it is respectful to them to speak about them as people who have some specific need or impairment. That is, individuals are not wholly encompassed in identity by this one quality.

So, I am hopeful, busymother, that you will find a community that has the resources to accommodate your children who need special education services.

here's a link for some more examples of how this language can look & sound:

http://www.inclusionproject.or.....t.pdf

Also, google "person first language" to learn more.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:46 am
Seagate!

bubbebia

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:56 am
Passaic might be worth looking into.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating