Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need help getting our daughters into YSV in Monsey!!!

lbzg

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 10:54 pm
We were planning to move to Monsey and send our daughters to YSV next year but we've been told for months now that they have no space, specifically for our daugther going into pre1A. We're literally desperate now as the summer is approaching and still have no school for our children. We've done extensive research on all the girls schools and feel like YSV is really the only appropriate fit for us- Ateres is too "modern" and Bas Mikrah and Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim are too yeshivish for us. People keep telling us to be persistant in terms of following up with YSV but every time we call they tell us the same thing- that they have no space. Does anyone have advice as to what we should do at this point, we're so frustrated!
Thanks!

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:06 pm
Being persistent is no bad thing, but I don't get the attitude that you have the inalienable right to have your child admitted to the one school you like. Sometimes in life you have to settle for the vanilla ice cream even though you prefer strawberry. If I were you I'd start applying elsewhere. It's called "having a Plan B." It's not necessarily a terrible thing for your dc to go to school with people who have a slighty different hashkafa from yours. Variety is, after all, the spice of life. If, however, you can't bring yourself to accept that radical notion, I suggest you get ready to do some homeschooling.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:55 pm
Call Rabbi Frankel weekly. Ask if they made the class-list for next year yet, find out when they will be working on it. Sometimes kids repeat a grade and a slot opens. Did your kids get interviewed yet? If not tell them you will be in Monsey next week and want to have an interview in case a slot opens up. Dont give up, but look for a backup school. I got my boys into YSV in August. They were switching out of a local school that wasnt a good fit for my boys. Worst case I would have kept my boys there, but BH that didnt happen.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:18 am
Give up. If they are telling you at this point that there's no room then there is no way. I had to pull major strings and make a very big fuss to get one of my kids in last year because of a space issue (moving said child from a different school where was for Kindergarten) and I have other kids in the school and I am an alumnus. I and sibs all went there. The new reality there is if your kid wasn't there for kindergarten it's all but impossible to get in for PRE1A. They are just so full and they no longer feel they are the "community school" (which they really aren't any more as they were 20 years ago now that there are so many choices)

They have 8 kindergarten classes they funnel into 7 PRE1As (4 girls, 3 boys) so they're not inventing the "we're full" thing. Add in a few Morah's and Rebbi's kids that come from other kindergartens (they have an obligation to take teacher's kids) and they are basically hoping a few kids repeat K in order that they don't have to have classes with 28+ kids.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:29 am
This problem of getting into schools is becoming so out of hand. It just a terrible situation when children want to go to yeshivas and get turned down

lbzg

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:31 am
I'm sorry if I've offended people by my post, however I don't feel that it is anyone's place to assume that my husband and I have not spent countless hours trying to figure out a "plan B" and for various reasons we have determined this to be the only appropriate school for our children, not purely because of the hashkafa of this school versus the others. I merely was looking for suggestions or advice if anyone could think of something helpful. My husband and I are both open minded individuals and were raised in such homes and seeing as you don't know us, the implication that we are being narrow minded is not appreciated. Thank you to everyone who responded positively.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics