Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
LA shuls (Pico/Roberston area)

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 8:50 am
Can anyone from LA help me out. We will visiting LA and I know there are lots of shuls in the Pico/Robertson area. I'm just trying to figure out which would be best for us. Which shuls are right wing Modern or left wing Yeshivish.

Some shul websites say that they offer Shabbos hospitality for Shabbos meals. Has anyone done this? I usually wouldn't be comfortable having someone I don't know make a shabbos meal but I'm thinking it probably would be nicer than just the 2 of us eating all the shabbos meals in out hotel room.

Also do any of the shuls in the are have Shalosh Seudos between after mincha on Shabbos afternoon? IF so can women attend or is it just men? Also do any shuls have a kiddush?

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 9:00 am
Anshe Emes (right near actual intersection of Pico and Robertson: http://www.anshe.org/) is a very warm and mixed-crowd shul. There are heimish/chassidish people (the Pittsburger Rebbe has a tisch at Anshe Emes every year when he comes to LA), standard yeshivish (the rabbi is a Chofetz Chaim grad), lots of ba'alei teshuva, Modern Orthodox (women with hair sticking out from hats, or no covering at all)...

There's a childcare room with babysitters if that's something you're interested in. They also have a hachnasas orchim placer on Shabbos afternoons -- if anyone is looking for a meal or interested in hosting, they can get matched up. I assume Shabbos afternoon itself is too last-minute for you, but off the top of my head I don't think there's someone who places people for entire Shabbasos.

Kiddush and shalosh seudos are simple and mixed (no mechitza, but men and women sit at separate tables).

--

I've heard nice things about Chabad SOLA (http://www.chabadsola.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/559388/jewish/Synagogue-Services.htm), but I don't have personal experience with them. They have Friday night dinners, but advance reservations are required.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 9:11 am
All the shuls that I know of in the Pico-Robertson area serve kiddush. Bnai David Judea (which is Modern Orthodox) has a simple seudat shlishit for men and women (mixed seating) with a short shiur in the middle.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:03 pm
bigsis- Thanks for the info. Women go to Shalash Seudos at Anshei Emes?

Anyone else ever contact one of the shuls that offers to set you up at somone's house for a Shabbos meal?

EsaEinai

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:11 pm
You may want to call aish Hatorah. I haven't davened there since I got married, but when I used to go they had a shabbos afternoon shiur for men and women, mincha and shalosh shudes that women would attend. They also used to have a very nice kiddush shabbos morning.

Depending on where you are staying, I may not be too far and would love to host you for a meal on shabbos Smile

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:13 pm
Please make sure to eat at Meshuga4Sushi on pico!!!!! Best Sushi!!! I cannot wait for my next vacation to LA so that I can eat there. They have wonderful albacore....

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
bigsis- Thanks for the info. Women go to Shalash Seudos at Anshei Emes?

Anyone else ever contact one of the shuls that offers to set you up at somone's house for a Shabbos meal?

Yes, women go to Shalosh Seudos at Anshe Emes. You can probably assume at least 15 or so women will be there on any given Shabbos, sitting on their side of the social hall. There's always a short d'var Torah before bentching.

mrsmagoo

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 8:54 pm
you can PM me...we live in pico area and we can have you for a meal if you want...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics