Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Don't forget to 'Spring Ahead'!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 12:58 am
Apparently, the North Americans are putting their clocks ahead this Saturday night/Sunday morning.

We in Israel will be doing it the Thursday night/Friday morning just before Pesach.

It's interesting that for DST, Israel uses a secular date (the Friday before April 2), but for pushing the clocks back, we do it on a specific day 'between Rosh haShana and Yom Kippur' (the Sunday before the 10th of Tishrei).

So for a while, there will be... uh... a 6 hour time difference between us and NY...

Ima'la

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 5:00 am
Kmelion wrote:
It's interesting that for DST, Israel uses a secular date (the Friday before April 2), but for pushing the clocks back, we do it on a specific day 'between Rosh haShana and Yom Kippur' (the Sunday before the 10th of Tishrei).

It's the result of a government compromise. Until just a few yrs. ago, Israel did not have a standard date for changing the clocks and the topic was the source of bickering in the Knesset every year, and when we changed depended on whether the religious or secular were more powerful that year. Basically, the religious want to "fall back" after selichos, but before Yom Kippur, so selichos will be later (esp. for people davening neitz, which is more common here), but Yom Kippur will end earlier. In the spring, the religious want to "spring forward" after the seder, so the seder won't end so late. So we got what we want for falling back and let the secular choose a date for springing forward.

sheesh. and to think I was looking at this post thinking, "nice of her to remind us, but I'm sure no one will respond to this post b/c what more is there to say?!" I'm surprised I even clicked on it!

shalhevet

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 5:06 am
Ima'la wrote:
Basically, the religious want to "fall back" after selichos, but before Yom Kippur, so selichos will be later (esp. for people davening neitz, which is more common here), but Yom Kippur will end earlier. In the spring, the religious want to "spring forward" after the seder, so the seder won't end so late. So we got what we want for falling back and let the secular choose a date for springing forward.

This is all anti-religious propaganda in the secular press.

The truth is that about 90%+ of Jewish people in Israel - religious, traditional and many 'secular', fast on YK and have a seder, and want exactly the same thing as those few hundred extremist black families in Meah Shearim want, who are holding the country to ransom!

Anyway, nothing to do with being frum I hate Summer Time Twisted Evil which is totally unsuitable in Israel, since it's hot in the middle of the day, and means you can't take the kids to the park till 5pm.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 9:08 am
well here they can't decide cause I know it used to be this early years back and then they waited till april and now in again in march - I'm not sure if I ever like an hour stolen from me ... plus it'll be darker now when I wake up ... now to reset my inner clock ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics