Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Curves

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:02 pm
Anyone belong to Curves? Do you like it? Is it worth all that money to join?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:03 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....2d9e9

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:10 pm
I went to curves for three months after my first before I joined a REAL gym. curves is not for everyone. it has worked for lots though. It is not a gym. you are not meant to sweat, they told me thta when I joined, hence the no shower area. I felt that everyone came in groups, like friends and chatted together as they moved on to each machine. my heart rate never went up, its boring and you walk out feeling, wow I just did nothing for 30 minutes.

at my real gym,I can take an aerobics class, or kickboxing, pilates, or run on the treadmill, have a nice workout on an elpitical, then work my way to the machines, and work my inner thighs, outer thighs, arms, back,abs, legs, chest.. then do some free weights. thats a gym.

I think alot of people think its an easy way out to go to curves versus a gym. im actually paying less then curves was a month. the only pro about curves, is that its all woman. my gym is also all woman, you can find them.

su7kids

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 1:31 pm
I actually saw people working harder and making themselves sweat a bit. Its a great beginning for someone wh has never done it before, and the social side is nice, too. You're working out with REAL women.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 1:37 pm
I'm like Shayna82, I need classes to motivate me. On rare occasions, I'll go to the gym and just do the elliptical for a half hour and then weights for another half hour. It's MURDER!!!!! The half-hour on the elliptical seems to stretch on for hours. It's so boring.

OTOH, when I do different aerobics classes, I'm doing cardio for nearly an hour - and it feels like less than a half-hour.

I'm sure a person can do a great workout at Curves, it just seems like it'll be very boring.

cindy324

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 1:40 pm
Funny , I just had a conversation with someone about Curves. She signed up, then got injured, and had a heck of a time getting out of the contract. Even a doctor's note wasn't enough shock I believe she said she's still fighting them.

Also, she said she doesn't know anyone who has actually lost weight from doing Curves. It's really not a calorie burning workout, like shayna said, you walk out feeling like you did nothing to get in shape, whereas when I walk out of the gym, I feel like I had a great workout.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 1:53 pm
It just seems to me that 30 minutes isn't much of a workout. I know that lots of magazines say 30 minutes is enough, but personally, I wouldn't see a big change with my body if I only worked out for 30 minutes. I think that ideally, a person should do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 min strength training.

su7kids

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 2:01 pm
Curves is definitely a place to START if you're not exercising at all. To me, quite honestly, I don't think I could go to a gym for HOURS, or even an HOUR I'd pass out. So, to begin with, Curves is great, and if you do it with a good eating program, you CAN lose weight. I totally believe it.

There are those who are couch potatoes and Curves is better than that. If you ahve the TIME and the RESOURCES and the babysitting to get to a regular gym, go for it, but Curves is great, and I bet it would be great for a pregnant woman.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 2:11 pm
What's the difference? Regular gyms have the same equipment as Curves, and a person can stay there for a half-hour if they want to and do the Curves routine. Most gyms have a machine circuit that's similar to the Curves.

The good thing about a regular gym is that when you feel ready to work in some classes, you can. At Curves, you have to do the same routine over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

When I started going to the gym, an hour class was very difficult - they still are. You're supposed to push yourself very hard. If you don't need to push yourself to finish a workout, then it's too easy.

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 4:48 pm
I too heard that it is impossible to get out of the Curves contract once you have signed up.

I think the membership is far too expensive for what little they offer. That's just my opinion.

cindy324

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 8:36 pm
Quote:
When I started going to the gym, an hour class was very difficult - they still are. You're supposed to push yourself very hard. If you don't need to push yourself to finish a workout, then it's too easy.

defy, come to my gym and try the 90 minute Extreme Training class, see how you handle that!

Also , we have a 90 minute body sculpt class, lots of weights, lots of reps - whew I'm sweating just thinking about it. Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 8:43 pm
OMG, the worst part of those body sculpt classes is when you have to load up the bar with weights and then do TONS of lunges. That's the part I dread!

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:56 pm
you do sweat at curves if you work out hard. you do lose weight if you combine excersize and diet. you work the machines as hard as u want to or as little as u feel like-obviously working harder will more likely result in wieght loss. I lost both wieght and inches at curves. and have more energy than I used to.

I also like the fact that you dont have to be there at a certain time for a class. w/ kids and crazy schedule I walk in when I want to and half hour later im done. the machines work all muscles and combine cardio and strength training.

as u all can see, I am very pro curves.

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:10 pm
thats great that it works for you, keep it up!

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 7:43 pm
I also like a real gym. I find you feel much more satisfied when you break a real sweat.

lotte

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 12:27 pm
3 Of my freinds that went to Curves actually have gained weight while on the progrem.I think it is kind of exercize for lazy people.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 12:44 pm
I just ran into someone at my gym that recently switched from Curves b/c she wasn't seeing any results there.

shayna82

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 12:54 pm
teneleven wrote:
3 Of my freinds that went to Curves actually have gained weight while on the progrem.I think it is kind of exercize for lazy people.

thats one thing I noticed when I went to curves, not one person was fit. everyone was wayyyy overweight, it was very depressing. and at my real gym, you have a mix. its nice to look at someone at the perfect weight, still working out, it gives you encouragment!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise