Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Heating up food for the second night of yom tov

ttbtbm

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 10:02 pm
I'm having a lot of company the second night. I leave my oven on a low temp. And one flame on my stovetop. Any ideas of what I can serve that will heat up well in the oven on such a low temp? I have the one flame but can only hear up/cook one thing at a time.

azeitune

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 11:29 pm
Cover the flame with your Shabbat blech so you can heat more stuff at the same time! Food with broth on the top of the flame, dry food (rice , kugel ) next to it.

momX4

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 11:32 pm
make rice/orzo/couscous fresh, it takes faster to cook than reheat. If you have a peculator plugged in, use the hot water from there.

cookiejar

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 11:33 pm
I sometimes do a steak salad for the main, where strips of meat will be placed into a salad, cause once they are cut into strips it heats up so much quicker...

questioner

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 11:35 pm
Smaller piece heat up faster than one large solid chunk. Think in terms of breaded chicken cutlets laid out in a row on a cookie sheet rather than a big roast and smaller muffins instead of a big kugel.

Also, serve a first course that doesn't need to be heated up to give you some extra time to work with.

Remember to be sure that all food is defrosted before Y"T so that you don't have to take it out from the freezer at night and wait for it to defrost before you eat! (If you don't have room in the refrigerator, maybe you can take it out on the first day of Y"T defrost and serve to kids as a supper before shkia if applicable)

Rainbows613

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 1:25 am
I learnt from R'Barclay-author of Guidelines-that it is not called preparing to take stuff out of the freezer during first day yom tov for second days.. AYLOR..

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 1:41 am
before I light on the 1st night, I take out everything from the freezer that I will need for the 2nd night to avoid this problem.

If you leave your oven on 225 within an hr everything will be hot.

Also the blech works well. The whole thing gets hot so you can heat up multiple items if you dont want to use your oven for some reason.

What is on your menu? Maybe we can tell you the best way to heat up each specific food?

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 2:25 am
No exact menu yet. Want to make food that makes sense. Usually I'll just cook up something fresh like shnitzel and potatoes but that's when we don't have guests. With company I need the meal to run smoothly and don't want everyone waiting to start eating.

wife613

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 4:31 am
Is there a possibility you could light a second flame from the first? (AYLOR) otherwise I would suggest a cold starter and for main heat everything one by one and if the pot lids are closed it should stay hot for quite a while. Good luck

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 6:45 am
meat roast sliced in a sauce heats up very quickly. Kugel or other sides can be left in oven for a long time but since you are not meant to prepare from one day to another either feed some to a kid before night or leave the oven on high enough that it will heat up while you are making kiddush and eating soup or fish or both.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:08 am
Don't serve soup - it takes long to boil on a low flame. How about doing a cold appetizer to 'buy you time' while your main and sides heat up?
Melon, ambrosia, fish...

jayle

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:52 am
From nacht until you eat is prob at least an hour.
Make sure everything you will need is out of freezer before yomtov so that it is properly defrosted.
I would take a large pot and put my soup in then I would make sliced meat with a sauce put it in a heat proof bag (double or triple bag to be safe) and put the bag in the soup, if you have kigel in a foil container you can sort of balance it on the bag or if you have rice or something like that bag it also and place in soup, it should all heat up very quick.
I always heat my food like this, the only thing I do different is that since I also keep my hot plate on I place all my food into a pot of hot water as opposed to soup.
Btw if you do do it like this
keep an extra pot ready fill it with hot water so that when you want to serve your soup you can put the food for the main course into the other pot.

I got this tip about heating food in bags in hot water many years ago, it has made yomtov prep so much easier just make sure the meat is with sauce in the bag and not dry then you can leave it in water for hours and it will not dry out.

jayle

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:53 am
Make sure everything you will need is out of freezer before yomtov so that it is properly defrosted.
I would take a large pot and put my soup in then I would make sliced meat with a sauce put it in a heat proof bag (double or triple bag to be safe) and put the bag in the soup, if you have kigel in a foil container you can sort of balance it on the bag or if you have rice or something like that bag it also and place in soup, it should all heat up very quick.
I always heat my food like this, the only thing I do different is that since I also keep my hot plate on I place all my food into a pot of hot water as opposed to soup.
keep an extra pot ready fill it with hot water so that when you want to serve your soup you can put the food for the main course into the other pot.

I got this tip about heating food in bags in hot water many years ago, it has made yomtov prep so much easier just make sure the meat is with sauce in the bag and not dry then you can leave it in water for hours and it will not dry out.

jayle

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:53 am

jayle

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:57 am
Uuum sorry dunno how that happened,
I don't generally make a habit of posting replys in quadruple! embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics