Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Cover Designer

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:25 am
All I want to know is, should the cover designer have read the book before designing the cover?
Please tell me.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:27 am
I'm guessing that most do not read the book. I don't see a reason for them to read the whole thing. They should just have a good idea of the story line and the theme and the tone. I think that's enough to help them design a fitting cover.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:13 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I'm guessing that most do not read the book. I don't see a reason for them to read the whole thing. They should just have a good idea of the story line and the theme and the tone. I think that's enough to help them design a fitting cover.

How will they know the story line and details to use as images without reading? And the tone. You can get it only by reading, IMHO. But if you say...

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:16 am
I think it depends what sort of book,

if it's a novel, you want a cover that will help draw readers in
if it's a self-help book, you want a cover that will impress the idea that this will help
if it's a cookbook, you want a cover that is mouth-watering
if it's an academic book, you want a cover that will convey prestige

also, how much do you want to give away, or hint at... I mean, if you look at the original harry potter book covers in the american version, unfolding them, and seeing the back and the front, gives you clues about the story and the secrets, but then again, jk hid clues all throughout the books. ex:

here you see harry flying catching the snitch- hint, he becomes seeker... but look closer you can see fluffy the three headed dog, and on the back you can see and owl and an old man, also to the very right, you see the hand/leg with the candle, something's going on there...

so how much do you want to give away/hint at.....

ETA: I also just noticed the unicorn under harry, that hints to a whole importance of the unicorn and unicorn blood that comes up in the later chapters...

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:20 am
singleagain wrote:
I think it depends what sort of book,

if it's a novel, you want a cover that will help draw readers in
if it's a self-help book, you want a cover that will impress the idea that this will help
if it's a cookbook, you want a cover that is mouth-watering
if it's an academic book, you want a cover that will convey prestige

also, how much do you want to give away, or hint at... I mean, if you look at the original harry potter book covers in the american version, unfolding them, and seeing the back and the front, gives you clues about the story and the secrets, but then again, jk hid clues all throughout the books. ex:

here you see harry flying catching the snitch- hint, he becomes seeker... but look closer you can see fluffy the three headed dog, and on the back you can see and owl and an old man, also to the very right, you see the hand/leg with the candle, something's going on there...

so how much do you want to give away/hint at.....

OP here.
It's a novel.
I believe I'm ready to pay not as much as for this edition although the British edition of the HP cover was a bleh. Probably, Rowling was then not as rich? LOL
I just thought they had to read the whole thing to at least know what it's about.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:25 am
well.. that's the thing... there are so many covers of the harry potter books, even in recent years they've come out the the 'adult' covers, and then if you google book cover, you'll find different scenes etc... plus each country has a different cover...

so if it's a novel, think about what you want to draw your readers in... like... some books have very simple covers, (think twilight,

just a hand holding an apple, doesn't tell you much about the story...

so what sort of message do you want to give, and if you want to be more simplistic, then the cover designer prob just needs a small bit of synopsis,

if you want to be more complex, and leave clues, they should probably read it

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:29 am
singleagain wrote:
well.. that's the thing... there are so many covers of the harry potter books, even in recent years they've come out the the 'adult' covers, and then if you google book cover, you'll find different scenes etc... plus each country has a different cover...

so if it's a novel, think about what you want to draw your readers in... like... some books have very simple covers, (think twilight,

just a hand holding an apple, doesn't tell you much about the story...

so what sort of message do you want to give, and if you want to be more simplistic, then the cover designer prob just needs a small bit of synopsis,

if you want to be more complex, and leave clues, they should probably read it

I see. You're a darling, thank you. I was just surprised at their negligence to read it. Next time I'll be wiser though.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:31 am
do you have a cover and are not happy with it?

I like to play around with graphics, if you want to send me a synopsis or as much info as you'd like the cover to have, I can try to play around with a few things for you

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:40 am
singleagain wrote:
do you have a cover and are not happy with it?

I like to play around with graphics, if you want to send me a synopsis or as much info as you'd like the cover to have, I can try to play around with a few things for you

I'm already paying my designer either way. They drew something out of the synopsis and I'm giving more hints. But your idea was good really. I went googling "book cover" and was impressed with... mine Smile I've never paid such attention to covers, and it has made me happier! That's why I'm saying thank you, thank you:)

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:50 am
ah, well then you are very welcome, and I hope your book succeeds.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:53 am
singleagain wrote:
ah, well then you are very welcome, and I hope your book succeeds.

Cheers

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:11 pm
I your book is a novel, your artist/designer needs to get the details right. For example, I was reading a young adults frum book a few weeks ago that had an illustration of the major characters on the cover. In the book a particular character is described as having auburn hair. In the cover picture her hair is most definitely brown, not reddish at all. Little mistakes like that are really irritating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club