Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need advice: new career in computers?

Pizza

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 7:50 am
Kids are out of the house (mostly) and I am trying to figure out what to do, career-wise.
I live in Israel and have a bachelors in nursing, but no RN.
I am thinking of learning something computers- related, but do not have the money to get a university degree, so I would like to learn some languages/skills from online universities (I.e. w3schools, codeacademy). I am smart enough to pick up something new, I just want to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

I dont know enough about the market to determine what is a good route to go - I.e. web design (HTML, CSS, etc), database work (SQL) or anything else. I also dont know what specific skills I would need for any of the possibilities.

I REALLY need advice.

Anyone?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 9:39 am
I have no idea what the market is like for freelancing or finding jobs within Israel, but a good web programmer should know HTML and some CSS (that's more on the designer end in my opinion), php, javascript, java, and newer languages like ruby on rails, python...mysql is very commonly used with php...google LAMP to see what I mean...if you want experience on windows servers, they use .net and asp I think, but I work on Linux. Perl is good, and C languages (++, #, etc) are very valuable as well but not as used with basic web development. Nowadays, many people use CMS like wordpress and having a good familiarity with that is a huge plus as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics