Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Did you EVER ..................

ny21

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 5:33 pm
get out of jury duty>? did you ever serve jury duty?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 5:44 pm
I served.

ny21

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 5:49 pm
I was called in twice .

Last edited by ny21 on Mon, May 21 2012, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

faigie

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:06 pm
I think flunked jury duty. I went in with the best intentions, but the cases were SO stupid and clearly just out to make money. well, I told the attornys exactly what I thought about their cases and why.
I got my name called out to go to the main room, where they signed my paper and told me that I was finished, and not to come back.

ny21

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:09 pm
they never told me ,
what the cases would be.

Last edited by ny21 on Mon, May 21 2012, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

withhumor

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:54 pm
I was always very pregnant and got stamped for a few years. Now, they’ve been summoning me again and my dh was advised to advise me to ignore. For now I’m ignoring. In the worst case, I’ll go to a jail with internet connection direct to imamother. Can’t be that bad.

bashinda

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 7:21 pm
just opened the mail. guess what I saw? Jury duty. They always try to get me when it's not feasible.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 7:27 pm
BasHinda, DH got his today . . he ignores them. Me, I ran at the first opportunity . . . .

cindy324

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 8:37 pm
withumor, they're gonna keep on sending you letters. They send 3, then the 4th is to tell you that you can no longer mail in the form, but you have to come down to the courthouse and hand in your filled out form in person. So just fill it out and send it in, when they call you, go, make a couple of prejudiced remarks against the defendant and you're off the hook Very Happy

As for me, I'm not a citizen, so hahahaha! But I actually would like to serve on an interesting case...

shanie5

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 9:12 pm
when I lived in ny I got a letter, but ds was little and I was excused. havent gotten one since I moved, though I think that I would not mind it at this stage in life-ie: no babies at home.

su7kids

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 10:02 pm
I got excused a number of times cos my kids were small, then I went one time and they called us back and then I was called back to be chosen specifically ,and they decided to settle out of court. So I didn't get to serve.

The next time I totally forgot and by the time I called to say I'd forgotten, the recording said I'd served!!!

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 3:49 am
Got picked twice, once the case got settled before the trial began so we were dismissed. the second time the case went to trial and we found the guy innocent.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 5:42 am
not even a notice ... I guess they are afraid of me ...

ny21

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 12:45 pm
rofl

yersp

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 1:15 pm
I got a jury summons 4 years ago, I'll probably get another one soon since I was dismissed for 4 years. I was stupid the first time I got it cuz it came out that I would need to serve on pesach and that would have been an excellent excuse. Meanwhile, I pushed it off until August and then I had to come up with a story. I was hoping that I would get into criminal court cuz I had two stories which I wanted to tell in order to get out of serving. My brother gave me the best advice. You pick one side and stick to that side and eventually they will see that you are not partial so they'll send you home.
The story that I said happened to an old coworker of mine. I have no idea who she is, I met her maybe once or twice but I remember hearing her story. The person who was being tried was someone who stabbed to death another person and almost killed someone else. I said the story of my "close" co worker whose financee was robbed and stabbed to death. As soon as they finished interviewing other potential jurors they called me out and asked me again to repeat the story and if I could be partial or not. Of course I said no and I was very "distraught" after saying the story, they sent me home and I was dismissed for 4 years.
I wonder what I'll do the next time I get it!!

withhumor

Post Tue, Apr 10 2007, 7:11 pm
I’m reading John Grisham’s novel, “the runaway jury” it is shocking. I’m in shock.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics