Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you ever watch cooking shows on tv?

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:23 pm
I admit - I like to watch cooking shows on tv, even though the vast majority of the are not kosher! I like to see what the cooks are making and then I think about how I might adapt the recipes to be kosher. I feel like I get some good ideas and learn cooking tricks from these shows. Do you enjoy them as well, or do you find it too much of a turn off since the food is not kosher?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:31 pm
I watch cooking shows on YouTube. My skills at cooking Indian food have increased as well as my skills for cooking Korean food. Most recipes can be adapted for a kosher kitchen.

morah

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:47 pm
Sure! I am obsessed with the Food Network- love Giada and Bobby Flay etc. I also own Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and a few other non-kosher cookbooks on top of my extensive kosher cookbook collection. I get ideas and adapt accordingly. Most stuff can be tweaked.

iamamother

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:22 am
im watching one right now! I have learned a lot from watching them!

WaterKissed

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:49 am
At one point I used to be obsessed with the reality cooking shows like Chopped, The Taste, and Master Chef. Lately though, who's got time for that?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:56 am
Maybe this is a function of growing up in a regular mixed-ethnicity neighborhood as opposed to an exclusively frum enclave, but I don't feel that I'm defiled by watching a tref cooking show. By the time I was three I knew that the ice-cream truck carried some products I couldn't eat and some kids went to parties I couldn't go to, so why should I be discombobulated as an adult by watching a tref chef or having a cookbook with tref recipes? I think I'm intelligent enough to figure out that I can saute an onion in vegetable oil instead of butter before adding it to chicken stew, and that, while I will never be able to make authentic beef Stroganoff, I can try making it without the sour cream and it might even be good.

maybe if a person grew up in an all-frum environment and never had to make the distinctions and choices people do who live in the velt, then maybe such people really shouldn't own anything but The Spice and Spirit cookbook, which besides being a very fine publication, won't plant foreign ideas in their culinary minds. For the rest of us, though, I think we can negotiate our way through the maze of international cookery without being tempted to make pastry dough with lard, just as we somehow manage to shop at regular clothing stores without buying tube tops and miniskirts.

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 4:10 am
I love the cake boss.

little_mage

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 5:42 am
That's pretty much all we watch. One of the things we like is that they're usually safe to watch around the kids. OP, if you like watching shows for techniques, I recommend Good Eats. He always explains why something works, which really helps with adaptability.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 7:25 am
Most of my yeshivish friends watch cooking shows, and we don't have Jewish ones so they watch what is there.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 8:21 am
My dh definitely watches.

I actually find them interesting, I love watching them chop the food and do the actual cooking, not really paying attention to the recipe.

But, I would never turn one on, I have other things I'd much rather watch and I only have a limited amount of time.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 8:38 am
If there wasn't the problem of cooking what they ask, and also tasting, I would love for my husband to participate. I don't think he would win the national but definitely could imho go far kah Smile

I contacted a frum tv channel to ask they do a masterchef 613 lol but they don't have the funding.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:02 am
I don't have a TV but I have seen some cooking and baking shows. They're a lot of fun. I'm more likely to adapt some non-kosher recipe from the former genre than some $5000 occasion cake.
I don't see the conflict as I read lots of food stuff, The Food Network magazine, recipes in other places, some foodie books. (Michael Pollan's last book had about a quarter of it devoted to smoking food, specifically the perfect bbq.)

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:11 am
I love many of them. In fact when DD was little I used to leave on Rachael Ray since I knew it was clean and ok for her. I think these shows have inspired my children to be more adventurous in what they eat and even try to cook. We always discuss how to make something kosher (and how gross some of the really trief stuff is).

zigi

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:24 am
I love masterchef and master chef junior. I also like the chew

morah

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:27 am
I love the competition shows too, like Chopped. Actually, my mom's personal chef was on Chopped last year, which was really cool. We made a viewing party out of it.

Sherri

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 10:30 am
morah wrote:
I love the competition shows too, like Chopped. Actually, my mom's personal chef was on Chopped last year, which was really cool. We made a viewing party out of it.
Did she get far? Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen