Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mindfulness Meditation

cookiecutter

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 2:22 pm
Anyone here tried mindfulness meditation? I've been seeing it around more and more, but I knew nothing about it. Then a friend told me about an introductory guided meditation session and I went. It sounded very interesting and I've done it a bit more on my own after that.

Has anyone here tried it? How did you get into it? What were you hoping to accomplish with it? Did you find it helpful?

chani8

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 4:21 pm
You went to a mindful meditation class? I just went to youtube. I enjoy meditation and find it very healing and after a session I often feel invigorated.

I'm not sure why it's called mindful meditation, as if it's some kind of new thing, when it doesn't seem any different than the meditations I've been doing for years. It's simply guided mediation. Unless I'm missing something???

Last edited by chani8 on Sat, Apr 26 2014, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

chani8

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 4:23 pm
Oh, I googled it just now, and wiki says "mindfulness meditation" is based on Buddhism. If that's so, I'd stay away from it with a ten foot pole.

What you're looking for is simply guided meditation. You can get free downloads online. Or listen on youtube.

cookiecutter

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 10:27 pm
chani8 wrote:
You went to a mindful meditation class? I just went to youtube. I enjoy meditation and find it very healing and after a session I often feel invigorated.

I'm not sure why it's called mindful meditation, as if it's some kind of new thing, when it doesn't seem any different than the meditations I've been doing for years. It's simply guided mediation. Unless I'm missing something???

No, it wasn't a class. It was like an introductory seminar to explain what it was. It was presented as like a life skills kind of thing to help with stress. Since then, I've gone to youtube also, although it's hard to find exactly the right thing among the millions of videos.

Can you explain more specifically what it is about it that you find helpful? What does it heal? Why do you suppose it is invigorating?

Re: the Buddhism part - as far as I know, mindfulness is a word that people started using to refer to meditation to avoid the perception of sitting on the floor in the lotus position with chanting. While some youtube videos are quasi-religious, I just avoid those for the millions that are not.

cookiecutter

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:19 pm
Bump. So I've been doing this for a while, on and off. It makes a subtle but important difference. I am really surprised that no one seems to be familiar with it. It has been a while since I've struggled with anxiety or depression, thank God. But meditation has helped me be more upbeat and in control of moods and reactions.
Still would love to hear experiences from other pple.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:33 pm
I usually meditate at least 2x a day. I like meditating while I walk (I walk about 6 miles every day.) For me it's being present for the sounds around me, the smells of gardens or forests, the sounds of birds or a wind through the trees.

In the evening when I'm in bed, I use circular breathing and do a relaxation meditation before I go to sleep. I used some guided imagery to put my mind and body in a place to go to sleep.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 12:26 am
I just learned about this a few months ago. I think it does help a bit. I suffer from a phobia and a bit of anxiety and I think it is helping me a bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics