Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chicken Pox - TIPS?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 3:39 pm
so my five year old got chicken pox.
we had suspected that he had it mildly some 3 years back but werent sure, the bloodtest several months ago (at his yearly celiac check-up) was negative.
tonight I put him into the bath and he is covered from head to toe. little tzaddikl doesnt even complain, says the spots "tickle him a bit". I just hope he wont be n too much pain. my older ones had it togehter at the same time.
my husband is not here now for the next while so I am gonna do this alone.
I bathed him with baking soda and applied a talc and zinc tincture that dries out the spots and prevents itching.
any of you got any other advice how to lessen/alleviate the itching/discomfort and possible pain?
TIA
amother cuz of details

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 3:46 pm
I'd love my kids t oget chicken pox, where are you locatd? (ignore me if you don't feel comfy saiyng.

two things that help relieve the itch:
calamine lotion
oatmeal or aveeno products

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:22 pm
thank you for the tips, I will try them!
I doubt you are in my vicinity. Unless you live in a small Jewish community somewhere in central Europe?
if you are so desperate - I can try swabbing his spots with a qtip and mailing it to you LOL JK
lets hope the night goes well.... daytime I am ok (took off work but must take care of urgent work stuff from home...) as long as I am not tired I can manage. ...

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:32 pm
I can use a chicken pox party, too. If you're interested.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:32 pm
In the US doctors can prescribe medicine for chicken pox... Contact your child's pediatrician if that's something you're interested in.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:36 pm
I didn't know people still got chicken pox.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:37 pm
Oh well, then.

Good luck and refuah shelaima!!

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:42 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I didn't know people still got chicken pox.

Off topic, but my friend's daughter caught Chicken Pox last year from her brother who had shingles (bathed today, wasn't covered until diagnosed). The girl had not yet received the booster shot but BH had a super mild case. Anyways, word got around that she ha the chicken pox and a neighbor's daughter who was already in junior high thought chicken pics came from undercooked meat! She didn't know what it was because its so rare today (still the vaccine is not mandatory in many countries so they still see chicken pox)

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:51 pm
yes I know theres a vaccine, but where I live the doctors dont really give it, unless the child has medical problems/ chicken pox would be a danger. other then that all kids here get it.
the medicine also isnt prescribed unless the patient has a bad immune system or similar.
I for some reason developed an immunity to it without ever having had it! though I hope I never get shingles... my mother had it 3 years ago and it keeps flaring up again, its horrible Sad
lets hope he gets over it fast
(poor kid was scratching his head before and I thought "oh no, dont tell me he got lice too!!!" it ended up being a big spot in the middle of his scalp, poor kiddo)

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:53 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Off topic, but my friend's daughter caught Chicken Pox last year from her brother who had shingles (bathed today, wasn't covered until diagnosed). The girl had not yet received the booster shot but BH had a super mild case. Anyways, word got around that she ha the chicken pox and a neighbor's daughter who was already in junior high thought chicken pics came from undercooked meat! She didn't know what it was because its so rare today (still the vaccine is not mandatory in many countries so they still see chicken pox)

that is quite funny! thanks for the laugh

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:57 pm
you need to make sure they don't pick the spots.

Most of my kids had pretty mild cases.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:03 pm
Raisin wrote:
you need to make sure they don't pick the spots.

Most of my kids had pretty mild cases.

thanks, working on that...helping him keep his hands to himself Smile

Gotta add, I have experience with taking care of the kids going through it...but always open for new ideas to lessen the itch
I got my older ones through it fine as well as years ago as a single I helped my sister take care of her four little ones when they all ad it at once.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
thanks, working on that...helping him keep his hands to himself Smile

Gotta add, I have experience with taking care of the kids going through it...but always open for new ideas to lessen the itch
I got my older ones through it fine as well as years ago as a single I helped my sister take care of her four little ones when they all ad it at once.

I had the chicken pox when I was a toddler. I went to my aunt's house because my mother had a scheduled c-section for that week. My aunt put mittens on my hands and colored with me an entire day. I don't remember having the chicken pox, but I do remember my drawings being hung up all around the bedroom (literally it was like wallpaper).

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:14 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I had the chicken pox when I was a toddler. I went to my aunt's house because my mother had a scheduled c-section for that week. My aunt put mittens on my hands and colored with me an entire day. I don't remember having the chicken pox, but I do remember my drawings being hung up all around the bedroom (literally it was like wallpaper).

awesome idea with the mittens! will try that too. thanks!!!

worknights1313

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:14 pm
Bathing in warm water really helps with the pain and itching. I had it as an adult, so I would know:(

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:15 pm
I have some facial scarring from childhood chicken pox.

Even though not a lot, I hate it. A few scars aren't so bad on a boy, at all, but it's very different for a girl.

Vaccinate.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:54 pm
I also had good luck with oatmeal baths. DC played with toys in tub and I sat on the floor by the tub and read . He probably had. 4-5 baths on a couple of days.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:46 pm
OP here
Wondering if oatmeal is ok to use for him....he has celiac....anyone know? I guess its too risky that he will get some near his mouth or nose....
What a pity, I was already hoping for that relief. Back to baths with baking soda it is,,,,, Sad

SplitPea

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
thank you for the tips, I will try them!
I doubt you are in my vicinity. Unless you live in a small Jewish community somewhere in central Europe?
if you are so desperate - I can try swabbing his spots with a qtip and mailing it to you LOL JK
lets hope the night goes well.... daytime I am ok (took off work but must take care of urgent work stuff from home...) as long as I am not tired I can manage. ...

Careful mailing pox is a federal offense and people have gone I jail in the U.S. for soliciting and or sending. Best not offer those things.

smss

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
OP here
Wondering if oatmeal is ok to use for him....he has celiac....anyone know? I guess its too risky that he will get some near his mouth or nose....
What a pity, I was already hoping for that relief. Back to baths with baking soda it is,,,,, Sad

can you not get gluten-free oats where you live?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics