Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Write yourself a mitzva note

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 7:05 pm
If you shared your stuff, put effort in to davening or gave a helping hand, please inspire the rest of us.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 7:57 pm
Ok, I'll begin.
I started to pray again on Purim.
I hope it lasts.

Emotional

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:02 pm
I've been working really hard at complaining less, in general. It's not easy.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:10 pm
TBH that sounds like plain old bragging to me. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but tooting your own horn is not an attractive thing, and mitzvah notes, well, we outgrew those when we were about six. If you'd asked people to share an experience that inspired them, that would be a whole different ball of wax.

My inspirations: First, a young man who goes around the neighborhood reading megillah for the sick and elderly who can't get out of the house to hear megillah. No organization asked him to do this, he just started doing it for his grandparents when they were getting old and kept it up after they were niftar. In fact, he's not even so young any more but he still does this. Second, a woman who is not young at all but attends every shiva and levaya she can, even if it means shlepping two hours each way by mass transit, just because she feels it's the right thing to do. Third, a woman who could easily afford to go away for Pesach but never will because she has a group of people who depend on her for their seder every year. Some aren't frum, don't make a seder of their own but still want to participate in one, some are gerim, others are older people who live alone.

relish

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
TBH that sounds like plain old bragging to me. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but tooting your own horn is not an attractive thing, and mitzvah notes, well, we outgrew those when we were about six. If you'd asked people to share an experience that inspired them, that would be a whole different ball of wax.

My inspirations: First, a young man who goes around the neighborhood reading megillah for the sick and elderly who can't get out of the house to hear megillah. No organization asked him to do this, he just started doing it for his grandparents when they were getting old and kept it up after they were niftar. In fact, he's not even so young any more but he still does this. Second, a woman who is not young at all but attends every shiva and levaya she can, even if it means shlepping two hours each way by mass transit, just because she feels it's the right thing to do. Third, a woman who could easily afford to go away for Pesach but never will because she has a group of people who depend on her for their seder every year. Some aren't frum, don't make a seder of their own but still want to participate in one, some are gerim, others are older people who live alone.

I liked the idea. It's share what was hard for you so others can be inspired.
Tbh, you put people down while hiding behind amother. I don't like that. The. You went on to post things that most people can't do to "inspire" people. I am glad they inspire you. however, personally I am inspired more by the other posts. They show how someone can work on themselves without going extreme.
Those are things that I can emulate. They are small enough that they don't overwhelm, yet when done consistently, are large enough to create change.

Last edited by relish on Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Emotional

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:21 pm
I see nothing wrong with honestly acknowledging your accomplishments. Patting each other on the back may be just the motivation we need to keep us going.

relish

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:26 pm
PSA: when I hug you on this thread it is completely, 100%, a great job, I'm routing for you hug.
Not anything else. Please take it as intended!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:26 pm
Relish, ITA with what you said.

Celebrating what we do right is healthy and should be the dominant voice in our head. Most of us have enough negativity and guilt weighing us down.

So for me, I am trying really hard to not let my hatred of Pesach cleaning get to me. I want to stay calm despite it being so hard for me.

So BH today I got some serious work done, I stayed calm, and I even cooked a nutritious meal.

I know there will be setbacks in the coming weeks, but I'm off to a positive start B"H.

mandr

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:11 pm
A certain chessed organization was collecting money today at an extremely busy intersection in town. I was annoyed at how they were blocking traffic. But then when the person approached me with his bucket, I calmly gave him $2 without complaining about the cars they were holding up.

The problem was, I just took out the change from my pocket without realizing that I also gave him my shopping list - I was on the way to the supermarket Sad

But then I decided to have Bitachon that in the zechus of my tzeddakah, Hashem will help me remember every item on my list. I think I did Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational