Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd wants to go to college, where do we start?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 12:57 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What do you mean by this?

I spoke to a couple of advisors at Brooklyn college and asked them tons of questions. The consensus was, if I wanted to get my BA from Brooklyn college, very few (if any) CLEPs from a distance learning program would transfer.

However. Once I already have the BA, it doesn't matter where it's from or how I got the credits, at that point if I want to apply to a masters program at Brooklyn college, all they look at is the GPA. I asked them over and over, does it matter how I got the credits once I already have the BA degree, and the answer, over and over, was that it doesn't matter.

That's exactly what she said. They won't accept the credits as a transfer student.

Graduate school is a different issue. I'm not sure how graduate school admissions work at CUNY, but I do know how undergraduate work. They look at SAT/ACT scores. If you make the cutoff, congratulations. If you don't, they may look at grades and other factors. That's VERY different from the way that most colleges handle admissions. Other colleges consider SAT, grades, essay, rigor of program and courses taken, and extra curricular activities. IOW, don't rely on the fact that CUNY does something to mean that other schools do it.

OP, there's a lot of misinformation here. From stupid things like someone saying that Queens College doesn't have a dorm (it does) to more serious errors. I strongly recommend that you google and read up on any schools your DD is interested in attending. Eg, did you know that Excelsior College (which is the school that grants the Raizel Reit degrees) recently settled a class action lawsuit by former nursing students alleging that it does not graduate students that are prepared to be nurses. The state of California has recently decided not to allow Excelsior students to apply for registered nurse licenses, and 14 different states want students who have passed the Excelsior exam to complete hundreds of clinical hours before they are allowed to apply for licenses.

nylon

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 1:26 pm
My apologies, Barbara. I'm from Long Island, and when I was in college, Queens did not have dormitories. That's new. CUNY has apparently opened several dorms in the past 10-15 years. Back in the '90s, the only dorm was the ex-nurses residence at Hunter, which at the time, was a flea pit.

(But for the record: Queens College only has one dorm.)

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 1:49 pm
nylon wrote:
My apologies, Barbara. I'm from Long Island, and when I was in college, Queens did not have dormitories. That's new. CUNY has apparently opened several dorms in the past 10-15 years. Back in the '90s, the only dorm was the ex-nurses residence at Hunter, which at the time, was a flea pit.

(But for the record: Queens College only has one dorm.)

I think I phrased my comments poorly. My intention was to say that your error was rather inconsequential -- a stupid error, sort of like when you recall of the complex formulas in working out a problem, but forget to carry the 1, not that anyone who made the error was stupid. There are other, more fundamental and troubling errors.

Apologies.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 2:01 pm
I think that there is a fundamental difference in the way people look at college.

I look at it as a world of learning and information and experiences that the teen never had before. The offerings are so much broader than high school. A student can try this and that and the other, to see what interests her -- even if it has nothing to do with her eventual profession. And she can meet and learn from all different types of people, with all different types of backgrounds and experiences. Sure, you can read the text and take a test. Or you can debate gun control with someone whose parents were murdered, or discuss presidential politics with someone who is now one of the world's best known right-wing political commentators (no, really).

Others seem to look at it as a way to get a piece of paper that will let you get a job.

And you're going to choose very different types of schools, depending on how you look at it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children