Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help me ask for a day off

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 3:58 pm
I'm in the process of applying for a job and I want to ask for one day off each week, for reduced pay of course. I'm in the middle of the interview process and I don't want to take it any further if they can't give it to me. I know that they want me because I have specific experience that they need but I'm also not one of a kind so I need to do it right. They did mention many times that they value flexibility...

I'm currently working at a big firm where I have a day off. I'd like to change jobs, but if the company can't accommodate me, I'll stick with my current job. I want to let them know that, not in a demanding way, but just to let them know where I stand and how important a day off is to me. Unfortunately, I also need to let them know now that I'm expecting and will need to take off when the baby comes:(

Any ideas of the best way to word this?

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:30 pm
This position seems to be an excellent match for my skills and values. (Use "skill set" and "value system" if they seem to like inflated buzzwords.) However, in the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that I am looking for something other than the standard five-day, 40-hour week--specifically, a four-day, 32-hour week. I would expect the salary to be prorated, of course. I am highly productive and believe that I can meet your firm's needs even with a reduced workweek. If your operational demands can be met with fewer than 40 hours a week, I would be happy to discuss logistics with you and hammer out a mutually satisfactory schedule.

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:38 pm
Zaq (as usual) is bang on. I wouldn't mention the pregnancy. Others may disagree, but that's my take.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:18 pm
Thanks for your answers. I don't really want to mention the pregnancy now, but I feel like it would be dishonest not to and that I'd be starting out on the wrong foot when I tell them in a month or two...

All other responses and ideas appreciated!

justforfun87

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:52 pm
Do not mention pregnancy now, but do mention the reduced work week!

iluvy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 8:57 pm
I would also add that you have this at your current position. The same way you would tell them "This is my current salary, can you match that," you can absolutely tell them "this is my current flexible work schedule, can you match that."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics