Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Preparing healthy food....
Previous  1  2

iamamother

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:04 pm
Do you roast in the oven?(the above recipe)....sounds good and minimal checking for bugs!

also the recommendation for Costco string beans and fruit is a big help, I will definately look for the trimmed string beans and frozen fruit!

thanks![/quote]

yes- in the oven

and no problem abt costco!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:14 pm
Rosemary chicken cutlets from Fresh and Easy cookbook
Ra_mom’s seared tilapia (found recipe on this site)
Salmon (spiced with oil, lemon and garlic-herb blend, or with a little teriyaki sauce)
Roasted chicken (I love spicing it with a little bit of olive oil/Pam, rosemary, oregano, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper, roast at 375 for 1 hr 15 min approx.) (chicken breast is healthiest)
Grilled chicken 3 ways from BY cookbook
Chicken and vegetable stir fry
Cornflake crumb coated chicken breast (skin the chicken, dip in egg, and then in cornflake crumb mixture [I mix cornflake crumbs with garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper], bake at 350 covered for 45 min and uncovered for another 45 min)
Low fat spinach lasagna from spark recipes (google the recipe, it’s delicious and healthy but not low calorie)
Vegetables:
Saute any of the following. Just add garlic, a little bit of kosher salt, and pepper: Asparagus, stir fry blend, sugar snap peas, green beans; all frozen
Steamed broccoli or baby carrots
Carrot soup (google some low fat, savory recipes)
Baked potato- NO margarine or butter needed!!- scrub potatoes clean, pierce with fork, spray with pam, sprinkle all over with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half.
Cauliflower recipe from BY cookbook
Sauteed mushrooms and shallots: saute shallots, add halved or quartered mushrooms (depending on size), when finished cooking add soy sauce and mix.
You can buy fat free, sugar free salad dressing, and add lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber to any protein for a delicious filling salad

rena

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:23 pm
I totally get your frustrations about preparing healthy meals, and I'm a health coach! I make it a priority to serve a vegetable at every meal. Sometimes that comes down to just serving sliced cucumbers, sometimes it's a more elaborate salad or stir-fry, and sometimes it's a beautiful dish with roasted vegetables. It really comes down to figuring out what you're capable of in the moment and taking it from there.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:23 pm
Btw I forgot to say that the spinach lasagna that I called healthy- I adapt the recipe and use sugar free low fat marinara sauce, fat free cottage cheese, whole wheat noodles and skim cheese. And frozen spinach. (The noodles don't need to be cooked so it's quick prep!)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:26 pm
rena wrote:
I totally get your frustrations about preparing healthy meals, and I'm a health coach! I make it a priority to serve a vegetable at every meal. Sometimes that comes down to just serving sliced cucumbers, sometimes it's a more elaborate salad or stir-fry, and sometimes it's a beautiful dish with roasted vegetables. It really comes down to figuring out what you're capable of in the moment and taking it from there.

This is a nice balanced approach to take away the stress but still be able to accomplish making our meals something we're not regretting later.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:28 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Btw I forgot to say that the spinach lasagna that I called healthy- I adapt the recipe and use sugar free low fat marinara sauce, fat free cottage cheese, whole wheat noodles and skim cheese. And frozen spinach. (The noodles don't need to be cooked so it's quick prep!)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com.....=1375
is it this one? looks good

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:30 pm
Do you have to pre-boil the whole wheat lasagna noodles?

thank you, OP

rena

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 2:56 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
This is a nice balanced approach to take away the stress but still be able to accomplish making our meals something we're not regretting later.

That's how I try to live my life! It's all about finding that healthy balance.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:03 pm
Yes it is that recipe, and no you don't need to pre boil the noodles. THe recipe itself calls for 1 c water, that's how the noodles get cooked.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
OP here,

Do frozen strawberries, mango's and peaches need kosher certification if its only frozen fruit with no added ingredients? ( this sounds like a great idea and possibly cheaper then buying fresh)

I am looking for snack and dinner ideas, I am trying my best to eat more veggies and not be intimidated by them. Smile

thank you!

If you puree them then you don't need to check. Do mangoes get infested at all?

mha3484

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 3:25 pm
Even easier is this:

http://www.ayearofslowcooking.......html

I cook half with the lid on and half with it off. I did this on pesach for most of the meals. I used eggplant, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots. They get soft without having to babysit them or make the house hot.

preempservices

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
is sooooo time consuming.

Lets start with veggies....checking and then chopping and then cooking ....and then "when will that broccoli ever be ready? "

All the extra work is discouraging and is preventing me from eating healthier. I look at healthy recipes and think "Boring and not tasty"

I think my health and my family's health is worth it. If you reduce (or eliminate) added sugar in your diet Hash-em's food will taste better - try it for 2 weeks.
Isn't there a healthy cooking thread on here - one of the best part of the recipes on Imamother is the comments!

Esther23

Post Thu, May 07 2015, 12:25 pm
Wow so many great ideas posted here! Roasted veggies is delicious and doesn't take that long. Leftover steamed vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower can easily be turned into a kugel. Just add eggs, a little mayo, crumbs and salt and bake uncovered.
An easy and yummy salad I like - a can of hearts of palm, cubed avocado and cubed tomatoes, mix with salt, pepper, garlic maybe a little lemon juice.
An easy and good snack that I got from this site actually, open a can of chick peas, drain and roast in oven with spices till top gets crispy. Also sliced apples with a smear of peanut butter or any nut butter is a big hit here too.

amazingmommy

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 12:00 am
Saluted onions, and then add frozen spinach, and either fresh garlick ot powder, scrumptious!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise