Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Help me get through this yom kippur!

newlywed10

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 10:51 am
I have a an almost 3 week old baby and exclusively nursing, except that she gets one bottle at night. Rav said I have to fast and if I am really not doing well, to do shiurim of water and bread. First time I am in this situation, fasting with such a young baby.
Q: Will my milk supply dip? Will I feel really sick? Anything I can do before or after to help me feel better during the fast and to keep my supply up? so new to this!
TIA!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 11:55 am
drink a tremendous amount in a advance. Start today.
Stay in bed as much as possible and rest, try to nap with baby. Focus most on yourself and the baby.
In my experience my milk supply toward the end of the day and didn't get back to normal until mid day the next day.
Perhaps have a back up plan - bottle, pumped milk or formula in case you feel the baby is hungry.
At the end of the day if you can feed pumped milk or formula it may help you keep up your strength.
Have a good fast.

chouli

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 2:04 pm
My Rav specifically told me to have something other than water when doing shiurim, like orange juice. It gives you much more energy with the same amount. It really helped me alot. My milk supply didnt suffer...

londoner

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 4:09 am
When I had 7 wk old partly bf premature twins my rav told me to do shiurim with liquid and literally do it every 5 mins to make sure I had enough. It was a complete pain but I was ok and probably drank about 2l of water over the course of the day.

lefty1

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 4:25 am
Yeah if you are drinking shiurim drink something more nutritious than water. Juice for sugar, milk is good because it has protein, broth
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur