Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you don't let kids chew gum, why?
Previous  1  2

If you don't let your kids chew gum, why?
It's rude / ill-mannered  
 29%  [ 28 ]
It's a choking hazard / unsafe to swallow  
 28%  [ 27 ]
I don't trust them to dispose of it properly when they're done  
 17%  [ 17 ]
Es pas nisht (which I feel is different from stam "it's rude"... this is a Jewish flavored option, that Jews are more dignified than gum-chewers)  
 25%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 96

hotmom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:39 pm
As a child I witnessed a friend choking on her chewing gum while playing. B"h hatzola managed to save her. But The trauma stayed. I repeat This to my Kids every time They Ask If I allow them to chew gum.

Last edited by hotmom on Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:03 pm
My 2 younger ones are constantly losing their gum! I've found it on underwear, dresses, hair,linen, dishes, etc.

I don't give it to my older ones so my younger ones shouldn't ask. Although the sensory thing for my oldest is a good idea.

I do chew gum myself because it helps a ton for heartburn and so that I don't eat. Maybe its not so fair.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
I know the poem too and I'm not your sibling. we had a teacher say this poem to a girl in middle of class, probably cuz she was chewing gum.
A gum-chewing girl
and cud-chewing cow
are so alike
yet different somehow
Ah, I see it now
It's the intelligent look
on the face of the cow.

My history teacher in the middle of class loudly told a gum-chewing girl to "Stop masticating!"

There was a moment of awkward silence while we realized she didn't actually say what we thought she said, and then a lot of giggles.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 2:06 pm
I let DD, but only once she's proven to me that she's old enough to handle the responsibility. Any time I find a piece of used gum somewhere, I would wait another 6 months before letting her try again, and I would tell her why.

No running, playing while chewing gum. No handling it with your fingers. Always wrap it in the wrapper and dispose of it properly. Oh, and for the love of Pete, chew with your mouth closed! If I can hear it, you lose the privilege.

No gum in shul or school, EVER. Gum was mainly for home, because it calmed her down and helped her concentrate on her homework. We only have gum that is sugar free and has Xylitol in it, because it helps prevent cavities.

By restricting gum and only using it as a treat for "responsible, big girls", she hasn't developed a "habit", and treats it respectfully.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 3:13 pm
You can get sugar free gum.

It's a lot better on the teeth and the body (assuming it's not swallowed) than taffy's or other candies.

I am not opposed to it in the house if done responsibly.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 4:38 pm
Not only do I let them chew gum (sometimes), I sometimes even encourage/offer. We have xylitol gum. It is good for their teeth/breath and especially on Yom Tov or other times when they have eaten lots of candy and not brushed, I might offer it to them, just as I use it myself.

They don't chew for hours on end.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 9:22 am
When he was in high school my dad saw a girl on the subway chewing gum. He turned to his friend and said "hee ochelet k'mo para" (she is eating like a cow)....
.... And the girl turned around to them and said "Mooooooooooo"

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 9:33 am
Not sure how to vote. I don't find it rude. More like un-classy. That is, I think the way most people chew gum they do look like cows. Some people can chew gum without making it obvious.

Anyhow my kids mainly don't chew gum because.... well, why should they? What do they need it for? I also don't have any candy or soda in my house. Just not into junk.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
Not only do I let them chew gum (sometimes), I sometimes even encourage/offer. We have xylitol gum. It is good for their teeth/breath and especially on Yom Tov or other times when they have eaten lots of candy and not brushed, I might offer it to them, just as I use it myself.

They don't chew for hours on end.

What gum do you have with a decent hechsher that is only sweetened with xylitol and no other artificial sweeteners? I have been looking.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:16 am
It's a brand called B-fresh. It is (or maybe just the hechsher is) Australian. I found it on Amazon.

Oh joy, to be able to offer useful information to Hashem Yaazor! (I always consider you one of the most helpful, knowledgable posters... I am mostly a lurker.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:46 am
Thank you! I will look into this.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:52 am
Oh, it's this hechsher: https://www.bfreshgum.com/BFre.....t.pdf
We don't use that Sad I've had this issue with the other xylitol gums on the market.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics