Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Small kitchen price range

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 10:40 pm
We are thinking of buying a house with a small kitchen (about 11x11) that needs to be redone. Is it possible to put in a nice Home Depot type kitchen with new flooring, appliances (2 sinks, oven, dishwasher, fridge), cabinets, counters etc. for under $15,000?

wow

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
We are thinking of buying a house with a small kitchen (about 11x11) that needs to be redone. Is it possible to put in a nice Home Depot type kitchen with new flooring, appliances (2 sinks, oven, dishwasher, fridge), cabinets, counters etc. for under $15,000?

Hmmmm it's a stretch, but might be done. You can check out appliance prices online, and once u come up with a number for that, you'll have a better picture how much is left over to spend for the kitchen .

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:05 pm
Sounds a bit low if you're also including the cost of appliances and flooring. I would have a free meeting with someone at Home Depot to see what they can offer and get a sense of price range. Construction always ends up costing more than you think.

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:07 pm
Yes it's theoretically possible because every choice you make can have all kinds of options that are inexpensive to very expensive. Even Home Depot would have ranges of prices and might not be the least expensive choice.

If you are willing to research like heck, you can get components at a savings which add up. For example, faucets, sinks, pulls are all available for better prices on the Internet if you research carefully. HD is not necessarily the least expensive place for granite as you can do better by going to a stone yard.

Are you willing to hire workmen to do the job or do you want to pay for the convenience of a contractor.

Appliances can be obtained more cheaply than at HD if you research and there is a tremendous variation in prices of major appliances. Consumer Union will recommend a best buy which is less expensive but still reliable or you can opt for top of the line and your appliances alone would be $15,000.

There is tremendous variation in cabinet cost even within the same line. When I was researching Kraftmaid was the middle of the line and even within that line, you could do it for a few thousand or big bucks depending on style, wood and how many of those great options you want. IKEA has great kitchens for a better price than HD and if you find the right person, having a carpenter do the cabinets on site can be a bargain especially in a small kitchen because you want to fully utilize all the space.

I recommend the Garden web forum on kitchen renovations because those people are incredible with advice and sources.

modehani

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 12:40 am
You might want to consider Ikea for the cabinets if there's one near you. They are quite possibly the best cabinets for the money.

Leahh

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 1:22 am
Home Depot offers free kitchen layout design and consultation. It includes choosing possible cabinets, counters, knobs....
Might be worth it to make an appointment and see what your options are.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 8:17 am
Also are the cabinets completely unusable. You can save quite a bit if you retain the cabinets and change the doors. It gives them essentially a new look and you can retrofit the insides with rolling drawers. A lot of people in my building do this and the results look great.

This is a very good solution if you are not planning to completely refigure the layout and really there is only so much you can change in the layout if a small kitchen. I discovered this because once you put in sink and dishwasher and leave space for fridge, there really isn't a whole lot left over.

And ironically, older construction can sometimes be better. My kitchen cabinets are made of solid wood and you would have to pay a lot for that construction. Change the doors and stain the wood or reface what shows, and you have better than new for a lot less. Depends of course on the condition of the cabinets and whether they are just old and worn and ugly on the outside and can be refaced.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 8:20 am
We didn't look that closely at the kitchen appliances that they have because we were thinking in our heads we would just redo the whole thing. However, the fridge and oven are probably fine. The kitchen right now is not that bad and really functional but if we could make it a lot nicer and even more functional for under 15,000$ we would do that. This would be a starter home that we do not plan to live in for more than 5 years so we do not need top of the line anything in the kitchen. Mortgage would be about the same as our rent now and we bH have the down payment which is why we would like to own and have a house instead of renting an apartment. Anyone have an ikea kitchen that can offer more info?

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 8:28 am
There is LOT you can do to spruce up a kitchen without a total gut renovation.

You might only be dealing with flooring, counters, fixtures, sinks. Anything that can easily be changed later like a fridge you don't need to change immediately.

As I wrote above, if cabinets are functional but ugly research what is called refacing as the results are astounding. And no it's not what I thought it is that they put a thin layer on your doors. In my experience, people had doors changed or my friend who had nice doors in an ugly maple had the taken off site and stained. Cheapest spruce is to paint if they are wood. I once had this done by a professional who did off site with high gloss enamel so they didn't look at all like a paint job.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 9:08 am
I do space planning and kitchen design professionally, and 15K sounds possible if you are very disciplined. 2 costs that can be more than you expect are plumbing and electrical.

Some ways to keep your budget in line include using:
Laminate counters
Stock cabinets
Scratch n dent appliances or keeping current appliances

Ikea uses excellent hardware. If you and/or your DH is handy, the quality on their cabinets is very good for the price.

Refacing is a good option only if the cabinet boxes and insides are in good shape and you like the existing layout.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:29 am
I bought a house this year and it's possible to do it but the appliances itself were almost $3,000.00...we live in Monsey and had a brand new kitchen redone completely, including floors, appliances, and wood kitchen and laminate counters and we moved plumbing and electricity and got brand new appliances, fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave ...The kitchen remodel including the cabinets and counters was exactly $12,000.00....My kitchen is about 11 by 11 but not all of it is cabinetry , a part of it is an eating area...we spent 5500.00 on the cabinetry and countertops including crown moldings....The construction, plumbing electricity etc. was 4500.00 and the appliances after rebates was 2000.00

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:47 am
By the way , I purchased my kitchen at a jewish local kitchen store...they were actually cheaper than Home Depot and it included installation...they did a perfect job...I LOVE my kitchen

Rebesq

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 11:06 am
Bizzydizzymommy - could you send me the name of your contractor(s) and cabinet people if you were happy with them? I am also in Monsey and doing a kitchen on a strict budget?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 11:28 am
Okay so because people seem to be saying that $15,000 is a stretch to redo a kitchen, can someone please tell me how much they spent to redo an11x11 eat-in kitchen (with 3 out of the 4 walls having cabinetry)???

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
Okay so because people seem to be saying that $15,000 is a stretch to redo a kitchen, can someone please tell me how much they spent to redo an11x11 eat-in kitchen (with 3 out of the 4 walls having cabinetry)???

As others have posted, it's doable if you are extremely prudent in your choices and make sure you get the best deal possible on all items.

There are so many variables in terms of kitchens that are within the control of the homeowner.

Your best bet to get a real idea of cost is for you to go to Home Depot, IKEA and perhaps an independent kitchen planner and see what they can design for you within that budget.

You can easily research appliances on-line to arrive at the cost of those appliances you want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics