Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
24-hours-on-antibiotics or else contagious rule - absolute?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:24 pm
As of the time that school starts tomorrow, my son will have been on antibiotics for strep throat for about 20.5 hours (3 doses). Is the "contagious unless he's been on 24 hours" absolutely limited to 24 hours, or can he go to school if he's feeling well tomorrow morning?

Thanks!

animeme

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:25 pm
My doc is ok with sending when it's that close.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:28 pm
I would also send if kid was feeling up to it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:29 pm
Give him one more day, on the condition that he reads books, watches movies, and generally promises to stay out of your hair.

An extra day off won't hurt him, and the mothers of all the other kids will be eternally grateful.

DD was the Queen of Strep in Kindergarten and 1st grade, and missed a lot of school. Once we got her tonsils out, we had no more strep at all from that day forward. Been there, done ALL of that!

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Give him one more day, on the condition that he reads books, watches movies, and generally promises to stay out of your hair.

An extra day off won't hurt him, and the mothers of all the other kids will be eternally grateful.

DD was the Queen of Strep in Kindergarten and 1st grade, and missed a lot of school. Once we got her tonsils out, we had no more strep at all from that day forward. Been there, done ALL of that!

I work and would have to figure out some sort of babysitting for him. In that sense, it really would hurt (and I'd never have a kid stay home "on the condition that he promises to stay out of my hair." What would I do if he didn't? Smile )

I don't want to endanger the other kids in his class, of course. But I'm trying to understand if 24 is some sort of magic number or if 23, or 22, or 21, or 20 hours works too. It's the same number of doses of antibiotics.

If it makes any difference, he had no fever as of tonight (temp of around 99.5, so elevated, but not fever).

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:49 pm
And if he's feeling better tomorrow, he'd be happier in school too. The only reason I'd keep him home is if he'd still be contagious.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:52 pm
Sorry about the work situation, that's such a hard choice to make. I can't even imagine a sitter who would agree to take someone who "may or may not have strep".

Can you call a nurse's office and ask them for an opinion?

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 9:19 pm
Why don't you call his pediatrician? He might give clearence. I had the same issue this year with my daughter and was told she could go to school. It was the first day of a new school. I told her to stay away from everyone and no kissing her friends.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 9:22 pm
Office is closed and I don't want to use the emergency service for this. I should have thought about it when I was there today, but it didn't occur to me until later. Sad

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 9:30 pm
You can call first thing in the morning. For what it's worth, my doctor says it's more about the doses than the timing. By 24 hours, you've done at least 3 doses. He says if you've had 3 doses and.the child is feeling fine, they are cleared for school.

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 12:01 am
I was told its 3 doses and I always ask when being a kid is being prescribed antibiotics. Ear infection isn't contagious, my son got antibiotics today for sinus related stuff and he can go back to school tomorrow- its not contagious. One time it took 48 hours for the strep culture to come back positive and she had gone back to school so I had to pick her up and keep her home the next day, the kid had no tonsils because they where removed due to frequent streps, I called the mother of the kid she sits next to on the bus to let her know and of course that kid had strep.

tweety1

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 4:19 pm
I like to keep home once fever is gone bet 12-24 hrs. Better safe than sorry
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics