Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
After the crisis

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 1:21 pm
If there's been a sudden crisis, how do you help your kids recover? I just came back from a lengthy hospital stay. Kids are very young, and each has a different, but equally understandable reaction. One wants to cling. Doesn't want to go to school, and then when home wants to stay by my side at all times. The other one (who is the younger) is basically ignoring me and acting kind of mad and giving caretakers a hard time. I am Bh healthy now and expected to stay that way, so we can start to recover now. How do we do that? How do we get the kids to get back into their routine and just generally be OK again?

BrachaC

Post Fri, Dec 04 2015, 1:50 pm
I think the only answer is really time. Figuring out what each child needs is half the battle and then figuring out how to actually make it happen. I am in the opposite situation- many months of treatment for breast cancer with chemo first- I am anticipating that surgery will be harder for the younger kids, while the months of me not being myself is harder for the older ones. I think they need a lot of reassurance that you are back and not going any where. Once that actually happens they will believe you! For now, it sounds like you need a "new normal" that will result in a routine they can get used to again. My mother calls times like this "re-entry" and they are hard!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics