Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
BT Dictionary
Previous  1  2  3

Ima'la

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 4:58 am
DH told me there already is some sort of dictionary put together by s/o from...oops - now I don't remember if he said Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. You might want to look into it so you don't reinvent the wheel - I'm sure there are angles that have not been covered.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 3:33 am
Shtark
Zeeskeit
Parve
Im Yirtzeh Hashem- and that its not some weird emertze shem (my ffb friend doesnt even know what the actual words are)
Kasheh
Sfarim
Shteig
Kollel
nachas

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 1:00 pm
My sister's Conservative synagogue had a frum speaker the other night. He was well advertised, has a name and even non-Jews came to hear him. He was careful not to use any Hebrew words or refer to biblical characters by their Hebrew names but he was telling a story about his kids and referred to himself as Tottie. I doubt that the audience understood why he was called that. Luckily the N"Shei Chabad Newsletter has a handy glossary in every issue, since all levels of yidden read it. When frum people speak or write for mixed audiences they should remember that words that are common to frum people are totally foreign to someone else!

chen

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 2:56 pm
southernbubby wrote:
When frum people speak or write for mixed audiences they should remember that words that are common to frum people are totally foreign to someone else!

Good advice for anyone in any social group or field. Every special-interest group--bar none--has its shorthand, its acronyms, its special jargon that is maningless to outsiders. This means--new moms, old moms, teenagers, people who work for Social Security, physical therapists, Canadians, Texans, caterers, baseball fans, vegetarians, you name it. You have to translate if you want people to understand you.

Just think of the word "fold" and what it means to a poker player, a souffle chef, a dry cleaner, and a preacher or a shepherd.

bashinda

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:43 pm
batya_d wrote:
amother wrote:
I would explain 48 inch linen

Yes
Rolling Laughter

okay so I'm still waiting for a definition here! Ahem! Smile

sleepyhead

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 6:10 pm
**shmattah**
mamash
davka
chap (as in "I don't chap")
becher
stam
meshugah

There are tons more, but can't think of them now.

shoy18

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 6:15 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Someone wanted to know where I got these ideas. They came from other BTs. Here is an even better one: the rabbi in where we lived told us to buy unwashed eggs for Pesach. Some smart BT told me that they needed to be washed in water that was an exact temperature (lets say 40 degrees F). They told me that it was necessary to run the water over a thermometer to get it at that exact temperature. Well, that thermometer read either 39 or 41 but I couldn't get it to read 40! Well I called the rabbi, who was ready to send me to spend Pesach on the moon, and he told me to just wash the eggs in cold water and get ready for the holiday. In those days BTs had a way of hearing something and turning it into the newest chumra.

funny story.. I was in school one day and this girl comes over to me, and since she knew I was frum. She said to me, I was in X bagels (a kosher place) and asked for a chicken salad sandwich and they told me they don't sell any meat. So she was all confused and asked me why, if Mayonnaise was pareve.....

shoy18

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 6:16 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Someone wanted to know where I got these ideas. They came from other BTs. Here is an even better one: the rabbi in where we lived told us to buy unwashed eggs for Pesach. Some smart BT told me that they needed to be washed in water that was an exact temperature (lets say 40 degrees F). They told me that it was necessary to run the water over a thermometer to get it at that exact temperature. Well, that thermometer read either 39 or 41 but I couldn't get it to read 40! Well I called the rabbi, who was ready to send me to spend Pesach on the moon, and he told me to just wash the eggs in cold water and get ready for the holiday. In those days BTs had a way of hearing something and turning it into the newest chumra.

funny story.. I was in school one day and this girl comes over to me, and since she knew I was frum. She said to me, I was in X bagels (a kosher place) and asked for a chicken salad sandwich and they told me they don't sell any meat. So she was all confused and asked me why, if Mayonnaise was pareve..... I had to explain to her that chicken was considered meat.... when she realized she was laughing

mumoo

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 8:55 pm
include a pronunciation key
give a sentence as an example of usage

ahavas yisroel
aish
amen
arba minim
asher yotzar
aveilus
avodas zora
baal gaiva
baalei mussar
baalei teshuva
bais medrash
baruch haba
bechira
besamin
beshaa tova
bikkurim
bikur cholim
bishul
bnei Yisroel
borrer, etc
bris milas
brocha
chassunah
chatzitza
chavrusa
chazaka
chazara
chelek
chesed
chevra
chizuk
Chofetz Chaim
chol hamoed
choleh
cholent
cholish
chosson
chumash
erev shira
ezras nashim
freilich
gemach
gemorah
gemulus chasodim
hachnosas kallah
hachnosas orchim
hallel
hashavas aveida
hatzlocha
havdala
hsir
kaara
kabbalas panim
kallah
kapparah
kavod
kdai
keilim
kesef
kever Rochel
kibud av v em
kiddush levona
kitnios
kli
Kosel Hamaaravi
lashon hora
maariv
machmir
machpid
makos
malacha
maos chitim
mashechta
matanos levyonim
matriach
matzliach
melava malka
menachem avel
mikva
mincha
mishna
mispallel
mitzuyon
mizrach
motzei shabbos
muktzeh
nachon
navi
navuah
nebach
negel vasser
nisayon
parsha
pekelach
Pirkei Avos
poseik
psak
Rashi
refuah sheleima
sedra
sefer pamin yafos
sefirah
seudah shlishis
shachris
shadchan
shaiches
shaila
shaloch manos
shalosheudos
shas
sheitl
shidduch
shimiras
shiur
shiva
'shkoich
shomer
shul
shulchan aruch
shvottim
simanim
siyum
tafkid
tahara
taines
taiva
tefila
tehillim
tichel
tircha
toivel
tsaaros
tshuva
tumei
tvila
tzinus
tznua
upsherin
ushpizin
yafeh
yosher koach
zmir
zmiros
limudei kodesh
muttar
usser
maaser
and also abbreviations, bs"d, amu"sh etc.

this is a nice idea; if you don't end up doing it, let me know,

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 6:00 am
these are great!! Thanks so much for the help. Anymore ideas anyone?

chen

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:01 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Maybe you could also include some general advice. When I first became frum, I thought that it was permissable to recite tashlich by putting a jar of gefilte fish in the sink and letting the water run. The rabbi laughed until he cried because my actual shaila was "does the jar need to be open or closed?"
Rolling Laughter

gryp

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:05 pm
bashinda wrote:
I agree. so, um, what is 48 inch linen anyway??

the linen that you buy to fit the 48" beds. Wink

bashinda

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:11 pm
okay so I'm extremely obtuse here. What does 48" inch linen and mattresses have to do with frumkeit? because of having two beds in the bedroom?

farmom

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:02 am
I beleive, that yes, it is b/c of having 2 beds in the bedroom. Ppl want big beds, and making them 48 inches instead of the normal 54 gives an extra foot of space.

BTW, they also make twin size beds, but a bit smaller than twin size - so you can fit a whole bunch of kids in a small room.

bashinda

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 7:57 am
ah I just have regular beds so I never thought of that as anything frum. okay fine.

farmom

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:19 am
I also heard that in Boro Park you can buy frum comforters, (or maybe frum blanket covers. . . ) colored on one side, and white on the other, so noone will know when you're in the 7 neki'im

mumoo

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 11:23 am
shtim
shaiches
mezuman
neviim
kesuvim
tanach
b'siyata dshmaya
hashgacha pratis
beshert
zivug
becher
bechor
bechira
histadlus
vahavta lorecha kamocha
perek
perukim
kapitel
posuk
pesukim
chinuch
mechanech
neshama
guyva
bedika

chestnut

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 1:09 pm
bashinda wrote:
ah I just have regular beds so I never thought of that as anything frum. okay fine.

I believe 48 inches is called "jewish" because regular beds are either smaller (twin) or bigger (queen)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics