Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What should be the food budget?

elisheva25

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 6:10 pm
What should be a normal food budget for a family of 5? 2 adults and 3 little kids..(Picky). does 250/week so roughly a total of 1,000 sound right? too much?

runninglate

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 6:21 pm
You should post where you live if you want accurate responses.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 6:29 pm
I live in Ny, but not Brooklyn . There isn't that many options for kosher shopping where I am . Although I can can some deliveries from brooklyn.

chany-frum

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 6:42 pm
most important question : do you cook or eat out , if yeas how often

ready food can be really expensive

in general , 250 a week sounds about right if you always cook and you are price conscious

elisheva25

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 6:47 pm
I rarely ever take out.. I do cook fresh almost every night. I don't know how price conscious I am. I guess that's why I am asking .Should it be doable at 150 a week 200 a week. That's my question.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 7:19 pm
Is this just food, or are you including all the other items that many people buy at the grocery store-paper goods, aluminum foil, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, soap, etc.?
If so, $150 would be a lot harder to achieve.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 7:32 pm
It includes some plastics.... But not a lot. things like paper towels, tissues, detergent, toilet paper etc are a seperate Costco budget . But I do buy plastics at regular grocery shopping.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 7:55 pm
If it doesnt include household items you could prob get it down to $200. $150 is pushing it unless you make frugality a real priority...

elisheva25

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
If it doesnt include household items you could prob get it down to $200. $150 is pushing it unless you make frugality a real priority...

Thanx!!thats pretty much what I wanted to hear.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 8:35 pm
You are very welcome! My family is the same as yours. We eat organic/healthy and I am a smart shopper and spend around $1,000 in brooklyn. We also have food allergies which drives the food bill up as well as my kids do not eat anything in school and gluten free flours cost more.

lfab

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 9:59 am
Sounds about right but probably could be a little lower (around $200) if you were more price conscious and stocked up when things were on sale. When we were 2 adults and 3 young children we averaged about $800 per month. Now with 4 kids and 2 adults we average more like $900-$1000. Also, when they were all in pre-school snacks were provided. Now that 2 are in school and I need to send several snacks per day for each, that has also caused our groceries to go up somewhat (not that we buy fancy expensive snacks but over the course of the month the packages of popcorn, veggie chips, pretzels etc. adds up). It also depends on your kids ages and how much they eat. The older they are and the more they eat the more food will cost you

blackbird

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 5:32 pm
Preparing home made snacks can save a lot. Cut up fruit and vegetables, along with a drink in a sippy cup and a home made danish is what my children receive. Compare to the prepackaged snacks and its significant.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 10 2015, 6:36 pm
blackbird wrote:
Preparing home made snacks can save a lot. Cut up fruit and vegetables, along with a drink in a sippy cup and a home made danish is what my children receive. Compare to the prepackaged snacks and its significant.

Cool! Can you share the recipe?

blackbird

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 5:14 pm
Danish recipe:
100 grams of fresh yeast
About 2 or 3 cups of water
maybe more
2 cups of sugar
5 eggs
3/4 cup of oil
2 Kilogram flour
2 packages vanilla sugar
2 Tbspoons orange blossom water( if available).

Mix the yeast with sugar and water and let it begin to react.
Add liquid ingredients
add flour
add extra water if dry. It should feel a bit moister than challah dough.

let it rise for 1-2 hours.
cut up 300 grams of chocolate into pieces
make small balls or lines with the dough and stick in the pieces of chocolate inside.
Bake for about 20 minutes, until you have a golden honey colored
crust.
I then freeze them and the family helps themselves directly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics