Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Car seats

kb

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 6:21 pm
I took the cover off my baby's car seat to wash, and my dear darling 3 year old "by accident" pulled off parts of the white foam stuff that's usually covered. Then he shredded into little nothingness.

Does anyone know if the foam is important? Can I use the car seat in the meantime without it? Etc.

(I plan on calling the manufacturer in the morning - they're closed now - but in the meantime it would be nice to know what I'm dealing with.)

smile4

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 6:30 pm
Definitely call the manufacturer in the morning - hopefully they can just send you replacement foam. I would be wary of using it in the meantime though- the car seat is a life saving device and was designed to be used with the foam in place. It may have some shock absorbency function that would be crucial in case c"v of an accident Sad

kb

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 6:58 pm
I kind of need to use it tomorrow.

smile4

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 7:14 pm
That's a tough situation. Obviously a damaged car seat is better than no car seat, but I would recommend starting to think of ways that you might get your hands on a different car seat to use. Call the manufacturer first thing in the morning though - let's hope they say it's okay to use as is!

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 9:22 am
The foam is part of the design!
Of course it must be in and intact!
There is a reason that a car seat that's been in an accident needs to be replaced - just in case something moved or broke that we can't even see!

please don't use it until you call the manufacturer or get a new one!

kb

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:10 am
Does everyone else have spare car seats hanging around for when the three year old snaps off some foam?!

lfab

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:42 am
I had the same thing happen pesach time when I took the covers off to wash. I (silly me) left the carseat sitting in the living room and my 3 year old broke off a piece of foam. My husband thought it was safe to use and the foam was just for cushioning, I didn't. So I put it away intending to call the company but never got around to it. If you get an answer I would love to know. I think I might move my nearly 6 year old into it (she is very small and doesn't yet meet the height and weight requirements for a booster). I feel like since most kids that age are in a booster it's probably ok to have her use it. OP please let us know if you get an answer!

kb

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:08 pm
Update:

I called the manufacturer today.

They said that as long as the foam is broken I should not use the car seat. (That being said, I didn't really have a choice in the matter, so I did use it. B"H, we're home safe.)

They are sending a new foam piece and the plastic pieces to attach it. I asked them how long it will take, and so she said she's sending it priority, and I'll have it within 2-5 days. Hopefully that means it'll be here for next week's carpool day! Smile

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:59 pm
kb wrote:
Does everyone else have spare car seats hanging around for when the three year old snaps off some foam?!

No. In general it is not recommended to remove any parts of the car seat.
I clean my car seat with a damp cloth and a vacuum cleaner. When it is in my house the kids are only allowed to sit on it not jump or pull or climb on it.

I am really not a car seat fanatic, and I am not perfect in everything regarding car seat safety but I would never ever use a car seat that is broken.
I get that you had to use it but if you think this will occur again then yes, buy yourself a spare car seat just in case. As back up.

kb

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 1:08 pm
I didn't remove any parts. I took the removable, fabric, washable cover off the carseat because it was COVERED in throw up. It was NOT 'wipe with a damp cloth' worthy.

The uncovered carseat was sitting on the floor waiting to get back its fabric cover, when my 3 year old decided to "pull off some of the white by mistake". :/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics