Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Special ed pre school in Far Rockaway area

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:39 am
Anyone have any experience and can make a recommendation? Thanks.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:47 am
What do you mean by special ed? We send to Gesher in Cedarhurst, which is excellent and we're very happy, but it's for mild to moderate needs. More serious needs would be served by hasc or kulanu.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
What do you mean by special ed? We send to Gesher in Cedarhurst, which is excellent and we're very happy, but it's for mild to moderate needs. More serious needs would be served by hasc or kulanu.

My 3.5 year old is a little delayed. She has a very limited vocabulary, doesn't interact with her peers at playgroup and some other issues. Can I ask what issues your dc has that you felt Gesher was best? Do you see any real improvement?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
My 3.5 year old is a little delayed. She has a very limited vocabulary, doesn't interact with her peers at playgroup and some other issues. Can I ask what issues your dc has that you felt Gesher was best? Do you see any real improvement?

There's also on our way, which is in FR.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 11:04 am
amother wrote:

My son also was not interacting with peers and had mild delays in speech, OT, and physical, also some sensory stuff. He's in his second year at Gesher and there has been A LOT of improvement. They work with the therapists (and also with the school district, the director comes to the meetings to make sure you get all the services you need) they implement the IEP if you have one, and incorporate all the special ed stuff into the lessons. The goal is to eventually mainstream, which is a huge draw for those of us who know our kids can be mainstreamed but need some extra support.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
My son also was not interacting with peers and had mild delays in speech, OT, and physical, also some sensory stuff. He's in his second year at Gesher and there has been A LOT of improvement. They work with the therapists (and also with the school district, the director comes to the meetings to make sure you get all the services you need) they implement the IEP if you have one, and incorporate all the special ed stuff into the lessons. The goal is to eventually mainstream, which is a huge draw for those of us who know our kids can be mainstreamed but need some extra support.

What's the tuition in Gesher? Why do you feel it's better than on our way?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:

I honestly don't know anything about on our way. Just that when we were told Ds would need extra support, we wanted to find a yeshiva, we really didn't want to send to a public preschool. Bh, we found Gesher, and the description seemed like what we looking for, and we looked into it, and it really was exactly what we needed. The 3 year old nursery is 8000, the 4 year old is 10. We get a nice chunk back through my husband's FSA.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:

As the other poster said, one of the major differences is that Gesher is a frum school, as opposed to on our way, which is a public school. My son was at OOW for three years and we loved it. His teachers were all frum, so non Jewish things were really able to be kept to a minimum. For example, he didn't mention anything about x-mas until his last year there, and it was really just in passing, not a focus at all. One of the people in Gesher (I'm not sure what her position there is) was actually at OOW before Gesher opened.

naomi2

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:03 pm
HASC in woodmere

morahmommy

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:49 pm
On Our Way- mostly frum teachers and therapists- very dedicated staff. You will feel like your child is cared about from the second you walk in the door, and parents and children are very very satisfied.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics