Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Do you thank Hashem for the good and bad?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 10:26 am
It's very long. I didn't listen to the whole thing and whether I believe all that he says, it's still something to think about and try to do. It's not easy and really mean it, but I'm trying. Do you thank Hashem for the good and bad?

Optione

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:16 pm
I can't say I thank Him, but I try to acknowledge that even though it seems impossible, Hashem obviously knows the challenge is good for me.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:22 pm
When something "seemingly" bad happens to me, yes I'm upset but afterwards I thank Hashem for giving me a kipporah(spelling?) for something worse.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:37 pm
I don't believe any of us are really on the madraiga to actually thank hashem when something bad happens and really mean it. I think I once heard that many years ago (hundreds, thousands?)big tzadikkim would intentionally roll around in the snow with very little clothing on in an attempt to self inflict pain and discomfort so that they can absorb any punishment that they are due in this world while holding on to their reward for the next world. I don't think any of us are on that level. To really thank hashem would mean to hope that the bad continues. Do any of us really daven for that? On the contrary- we daven for specific things that we perceive as good. If those good things aren't happening we redouble our tefilah and ask hashem for "good" things. I don't believe any of us are sincere if we say "thank you" when something bad happens.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 5:39 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I don't believe any of us are really on the madraiga to actually thank hashem when something bad happens and really mean it. I think I once heard that many years ago (hundreds, thousands?)big tzadikkim would intentionally roll around in the snow with very little clothing on in an attempt to self inflict pain and discomfort so that they can absorb any punishment that they are due in this world while holding on to their reward for the next world. I don't think any of us are on that level. To really thank hashem would mean to hope that the bad continues. Do any of us really daven for that? On the contrary- we daven for specific things that we perceive as good. If those good things aren't happening we redouble our tefilah and ask hashem for "good" things. I don't believe any of us are sincere if we say "thank you" when something bad happens.

My car was in a minor fender bender a few weeks ago. I was upset, to say the least. However, I realized that it could have been worse and, from the bottom of my heart I thanked Hashem for having saved me from something worse. And I meant it. Only Hashem know what's in my heart.. Only Hashem knows if I am sincere. I don't see the connection of thanking Hashem for bad and hoping that the bad should continue. CVS that any bad should continue.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
My car was in a minor fender bender a few weeks ago. I was upset, to say the least. However, I realized that it could have been worse and, from the bottom of my heart I thanked Hashem for having saved me from something worse. And I meant it. Only Hashem know what's in my heart.. Only Hashem knows if I am sincere. I don't see the connection of thanking Hashem for bad and hoping that the bad should continue. CVS that any bad should continue.

So it sounds like you thanked hashem for the good- that you weren't hurt- but you weren't thanking hashem for the actual bad event that happened.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 6:20 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
So it sounds like you thanked hashem for the good- that you weren't hurt- but you weren't thanking hashem for the actual bad event that happened.

I didn't just thank Hashem for having saved me from being hurt. I thanked Hashem for only given me the "fender bender." I realized that it so could have been worse. I thanked Him for what he gave me. I'm not trying to claim that I'm on some high madraiga. Believe me, I'm not. It's just that I realize that it could have been far worse(the other car hit me from behind) so I stood before Hashem when I davened later that day and thanked Him for what He gave me.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 6:34 pm
I do 3 gratitudes every night, the first one being one that I don't like.

flower3

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 10:17 pm
https://youtu.be/jG5aKbI_NLA

This is very inspirational video

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 10:38 pm
if you learn from the negative we experience ~ it's all good ... hashgocha

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:38 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
I don't believe any of us are really on the madraiga to actually thank hashem when something bad happens and really mean it.

To really thank hashem would mean to hope that the bad continues.
Do any of us really daven for that? On the contrary- we daven for specific things that we perceive as good. If those good things aren't happening we redouble our tefilah and ask hashem for "good" things. I don't believe any of us are sincere if we say "thank you" when something bad happens.

No we aren't supposed to thank hashem that the bad continues, we thank hashem for knowing what's best for us. A person needs surgery c'v. Surgery is very painful and it could come with side effects. Do you not thank your doctor for fixing you because he knew you had to have the surgery to make you better? We don't know why hashem does what he does, but it is for our best.

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 10:20 am
One hashkafa states, if we can thank Hashem for the nisayon *while we are going through it*, He helps ease the way. But that is superhuman stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational