Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Amazing story about Mrs. Gayle Sassoon

observer

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:20 pm
The following is from Daily Emunah by Rabbi David Ashear. It has an amazing story about Mrs. Gayle Sassoon that occurred just recently.

You can sign up for daily emunah emails through this link.
Quote:
A Heavenly Receipt

The other day, a Rabbi called me, saying that he had been experiencing lower back pain for a while, and it was becoming a major annoyance. He had been listening to a shiur on Emunah and the speaker mentioned that every ounce of pain, both physical and emotional, that a person suffers is precisely calculated by Hashem. The Rabbi continued, "When I heard that, my entire perspective changed. If this is what Hashem knows that I need now, then I am okay with it." This is an example of how Emunah can help us deal with relatively minor pain.
However, there are people who, Heaven forbid, suffer grueling pain on a major scale. Nevertheless, even they have said that the knowledge that Hashem is involved in their plight gives them comfort in the most difficult times.
Mrs. Gayle Sassoon related a story that recently happened to her. A few weeks before the Yahrtzeit of her children, which was this Rosh Chodesh Nisan, she attended a class given by Rav Avraham Schorr. The Rabbi discussed the Machasit Hashekel, Half Shekel coin, that was given annually for use in the Bet Hamikdash. The Rabbi said, "The Jews gave with all their hearts, and it was so precious to Hashem. We also have the opportunity to give. Anything a Jew gives up with difficulty for the sake of Hashem is considered a contribution to building the third Bet Hamikdash."
When Gayle Sassoon came home that night, she began to think what she could give up for Hashem. The next day, a friend from Israel visited her. Gayle wanted to show her a text message she had just received from someone in Israel. As she handed her friend the phone, the guest said, "I am sorry. I can't look at it. I promised myself I would never use a smartphone. They are taking over people's lives and consuming all their time." When Gayle heard this, she said, "Wow. I am so inspired. I also want to give up my smartphone. That will be my Machasit Hashekel." There was only one problem. She was part of a large WhatsApp group, consisting of over 250 women who gave each other Chizuk. Gayle benefited a lot from them, and they benefited from her. Nevertheless, with a lot of strength, she sent a message that she was giving up her phone and would be signing off. Everyone sent her messages back, trying to convince her to stay. The last message she received was, "Gayle, you can't leave. We need you." She replied, "You need me, and I need my children." With that, she gave up her phone.
The very next morning, she received an email on her computer with a link to an article on the Israeli news site, Arutz Sheva. The article reported how, after nine years of digging, archaeologists uncovered a rare seal from the time of the first Bet Hamikdash. The seal bore the name "Eliana Bat Gael," the exact same name as her eldest daughter A"H. The article stated that, in general, finding such seals is a very rare occurrence. However, finding a seal that belonged to a woman is even more unusual. Moreover, the name Eliana is an unprecedented name; it does not even appear in the Bible.
This was Hashem sending His beloved daughter, Gayle, a message from Heaven. "I accept your Machasit Hashekel. The Bet Hamikdash is on its way." The odds of this combination of names-Eliana and Gael, are astronomical. That seal had been sitting there for over 2000 years untouched. If it would have been discovered a few months earlier, it would have been considered a nice sign. However, being found on the same day that Gayle gave her Machasit Hashekel and having the message waiting in her inbox is nothing short of a miracle. It was Hashem giving her a receipt engraved with her daughter's name for her Machasit Hashekel. He was telling her, "I know how hard it is for you, but I am with you." Gayle was comforted.
Hashem is here with us all the time. We don't see Him, but we feel Him. The more we make Him part of our lives, the easier life becomes

Last edited by observer on Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:45 pm
It's an amazing story but just a correction...it happened more like a few weeks ago. I heard it on March 22nd. And there it said it happened a few days beforem

observer

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
It's an amazing story but just a correction...it happened more like a few weeks ago. I heard it on March 22nd. And there it said it happened a few days beforem

will correct, thanks for pointing out

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:59 pm
When I started to read the story I thought, what more could she possibly give up? Then I thought got a moment and this is the takeaway for me:
People go through horrible things, and everyone would have every reason to believe that they've paid their dues, things should go smoothly now. And not just that, but they themselves might think, I have done a lot for the RBSh"O, I'm "good." But we can't be stagnant in life. We grow and have to keep looking for ways to grow. And with any luck, we do it inspired and joyfully.

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:36 pm
What an amazing and inspiring story - thanks for sharing!

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:53 pm
Wow.
Incredible.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:04 pm
cnc wrote:
Wow.
Incredible.

If Gayle who lost 7/8 children and is still struggling with severe burns on her face and upper body can give up her smart phone, so can we.

And if we may say we are not on her level, and we are weaker than her, at least we should get ourselves a reliable filter, fast.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:23 pm
when I first started scanning this post I didn't think I would like it.
that was actually an incredible story and I am going to fwd it to a bunch of people.
I loved that.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:37 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
when I first started scanning this post I didn't think I would like it.
that was actually an incredible story and I am going to fwd it to a bunch of people.
I loved that.

I know what you mean. I also knew that however I felt about it, I'd honor the story if it was meaningful to Mrs. Sassoon. I should add that I was inspired by the story in the way everyone else mentions. We have to be on the lookout for those Heavenly kisses - remember Yosef and the pleasant-smelling spices? - and this was awesome.

newmom770

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:13 pm
Its an amazing story. The thing is, I dont know if giving up smartphone us truly the right thing for everyone. This is a creation of Hashem and anything that is not forbidden is supposed to be used for kedusha.
So it could be that keeping your phone but putting limits on HOW it is used might be better for avodas Hashem. For example not using it whilst in the company of friends which stops social interaction or not using when the kids/husband are home, not using it for foolish things which waste your time.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:33 pm
That's what she choose to give up. Every person is on a different level and can pick what they feel they can do and what's manageable for them. It's just that we are all supposed to keep on trying to better ourselves one baby step at a time.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
That's what she choose to give up. Every person is on a different level and can pick what they feel they can do and what's manageable for them. It's just that we are all supposed to keep on trying to better ourselves one baby step at a time.

I love this story, really makes you feel Hashem's presence.

That said, the point is to give up something that has a harmful role in your life. For many people, a smartphone does no harm. Not everyone uses them improperly, or too much or whatever.

momi

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:45 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I love this story, really makes you feel Hashem's presence.

That said, the point is to give up something that has a harmful role in your life. For many people, a smartphone does no harm. Not everyone uses them improperly, or too much or whatever.

I highly doubt Gail used her for phone for inappropriate purposes. I am speaking as one who uses a smartphone for business, shopping and clean movies. I truly attempt at limiting its use when my children are around and am careful with what I view. That being said, with all the awareness out there today ( in both secular and religious perspectives)the invent of smartphones with all its conveniences has caused many personal and interpersonal problems. I personally am working towards the day that I build up the courage to filter my phone.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:11 pm
This story was on the yarzheit video. She specifically said that each person had their own thing they can give to Hashem and no one can judge whose contribution is greater, it is between the person and Hashem.

blossoming

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 11:42 am
Thank you observer, I copy pasted this story and sent it to Hidabrut, the most famous website for kiruv in Israel.

It seems like they trasnlated it and posted it today:
http://www.hidabroot.org/he/article/204071

sourstix

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 11:54 am
I love the comment here made that evereyone has to know what is their struggle and work on that. for me its making sure I dont look at my phone whiel my kids and dh need me. making sure to take only phone calls that r necessary at the time. and then looking at messages when they are in bed and when everyone has what they need. it can get tricky. its meshicha. liek I get one message and I answer and then I get another one and another. I need to know when to stop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational