Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Baby naming question

littlefish1995

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 11:52 pm
Can anyone point me to where I can find information on a baby naming ceremony for girls? DD already was named in shul just after she was born, but I'd like to do something at home (a party) and include a little ceremony. THANKS.

amother

Post Thu, May 24 2007, 4:00 am
I don't think there are any rules or traditions for something like this... just do something that would be meaningful to you.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 24 2007, 4:14 am
You can have a Simchat Bat...

Basically it's a seudah, there's a Dvar Torah or three and you can also explain why you chose the name(s) you did for your daughter.

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 3:15 am
I was just going to ask what isa simchat bat and who does it and what they do... maybe elaborate abit more?? and why people do it?? a kiddush is not enough??

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 3:44 am
The Smachot Bat I've been to are generally held about a month after the baby is born and it gives the mother, baby and any friends and family members who don't live nearby a chance to participate in the Simcha.

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:54 am
what do they do??

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 7:32 am
There are no set rules...

Couple divrei Torah, explain how/why you came up with the name, talk about the person or people she's named for... have food...

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 8:15 am
miriamnechama wrote:
I was just going to ask what isa simchat bat and who does it and what they do... maybe elaborate abit more?? and why people do it?? a kiddush is not enough??

Sure, a kiddush is enough. But if you're like my BIL, then he has family from Ofakim all the way to Kiryat Shmona...and they can't all come stay in Jerusalem for a kiddush! So they made a simchat bat in the middle of the week so his family could come and celebrate with them. A kiddush is the traditional way to go, but it's not Torah l'Moshe miSinai.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 8:26 am
I have read about girls not finding their basherte because they didn't have a kiddush when they were born, and people have suggested that a kiddush be made (now that they are in adulthood) to remedy this.

Does a basmitzvah seudah count?

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:07 am
yeah I heard that , my neighbour made one when her daughter was about 11 cuz the hadn't athe amshinover told them to make. her daughter was pretty embarresed. also my sil make a kiddush on motzei shabbos for out of town fam it was like a seuda but she called it a kiddush.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:19 pm
Most girls/women I know didn't have a kiddush and they do get married... including me.

Baby namings are new here, even more recent than bas mitzva, most girls over let's say 10 didn't have one at all. I made one for my dd because it's not SO weird now and I wanted her to have something too. She was just named, a few brachos, and that's it... no kiddush or anything. Although I wouldn't have been against it if dh had wanted, but he's not used to it either.

In many communities the girls have no naming ceremony, in some the dad doesn't name them at shul at all. When my grandfather who couldn't attend saw the video, he said it was nice but unheard of for him (born in the 20's in Poland).

By the way we invited a lot of people to be polite, but we knew only the closest family would attend, even "worse" than for a bris LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics