Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are more expensive appliances worth it

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 7:19 am
Doing a kitchen and there's so much to choose from. For example in putting in a double wall oven and the price can vary between 1500-8,000$. Do the lower end models like whirlpool work well? Bake even? Are u paying for a name or better product?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:07 am
My Viking fridge broke all the time and customer service was not very responsive. Also, parts and repairs were very expensive.

But my my Miele dishwasher was worth every penny. (We have since moved, and I bought a Whirlpool fridge. It's totally fine.)

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:23 am
Read reviews. And look at repair records.

Get convection in your ovens — convection will help keep temps more even throughout the oven but is not something you would use with all foods (for example, not good for cakes).

In my own home, my favorite appliances are my outrageously expensive Bluestar ranges (don't need a "Shabbos mode" and they cook so well!) and my cheap 18" Frigidaire dishwasher (holds a lot, cleans dishes well, problem free).

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:55 am
I recently remodeled my kitchen. I called a local appliance repair company and asked them for recommendations within my price range. I bought what they told me to buy and so far (8 months) I'm very very happy with everything I bought.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
I recently remodeled my kitchen. I called a local appliance repair company and asked them for recommendations within my price range. I bought what they told me to buy and so far (8 months) I'm very very happy with everything I bought.

Since you're anonymous can you tell Me what you bought?

sweetpotato

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 9:52 am
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You'll have to research the individual appliances. Consumer Reports is a good source, though you need to subscribe to see their full ratings:

http://www.consumerreports.org.....s.htm

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
Since you're anonymous can you tell Me what you bought?

Sure. I got 2 GE Profile ovens (PGB911SEJSS), Whirlpool french door refrigerator (WFW7590FW), Maytag dishwashers (MDB4949SDM), and GE Profile microwave hood (PVM9005SJSS-this I got bec I like the look of it, they said any microwave hood is fine.)

Maytag makes a nicer dishwasher that has hidden buttons but I didn't want to spend the money. They also told me that Whirlpool and KitchenAid dishwashers are very good but they don't have choppers so you have to empty out a mesh that has all the food leftovers that went through the dishwasher, which I didn't want to do.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:54 am
imho quality always works better & lasts longer ...

Amarante

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 12:12 pm
It depends on the appliance and what features are important to you. I'm not sure that a Zero refrigerator is better than a well rated refrigerator that is less expensive.

On the other hand, some features are more expensive - I.e. IMO French doors on a refrigerator are functional. My Bosch dishwasher was pricey but worth is and my friend loves her Miele.

I think for most home cooks a well rated range or stove is adequate. However, there are some features that I found important that are more costly - I.e. true convection; hidden coils in the oven which make cleaning easier; If I had gas as an option, I would pay more for gas stove and electric oven which is more costly. With an electric range, there are some features regarding the heating elements that are functional such as burners which enable one to cook large long pots.

On the other hand, I doubt whether a Viking range is necessary for most home cooks unless one's house is so expensive that the next buyer will expect Sub Zero refrigerator and Viking ranges.

I haven't found much difference in microwaves as I have had good luck with all of the name brands I bought. However, I wouldn't buy a built in microwave as they do break down more frequently than other appliances.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics