Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What suitcase to buy for a sem girl

madys

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:13 pm
My daughter will be spending the year in Israel. She can take two 50 lb suitcases. Any recommendations as to which suitcase will be best to stuff to the max? What size? Brand? Style?

I already bought the vacuum bags so she can pack to the max

Thanks!

cm

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:28 pm
I'm not sure what kind of suitcase is best, but while you are shopping, pick up a luggage scale. It will cost less than the surcharge if the suitcases are over weight.

bigblueyes

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:32 pm
I recommend a duffle bag, as you stuff stuff stuff!! Also, her carryon should be her practical overnight/shabbos wheelie.
A luggage scale wont be necessary if you step on a scale, and then step on again holding the luggage you can subtract the amount and see the weight.

madys

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 1:53 pm
Thanks - Are there any issues with duffles?

N'sMom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 2:01 pm
My daughter used duffles as well. We got them from LL Bean. She already had one that she had used for camp, plus a small matching one that she used for shabbos overnights and served as her carry on for the plane. We got another big one before Israel. They are sturdy and come in lots of pretty colors, which in addition to being fun makes it easy to identify her luggage at luggage claim that is a sea of black luggage. The major advantage of duffles is, as someone else said, you can shove things in. Also, if she has less luggage coming back she can fold one up and pack it in the second one. The only disadvantage I can think of is that some cheaper duffles are oddly shaped. They need to ascribe to the same measurement rules as a suitcase and a few f them are very long and skinny, or not a standard size.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 2:06 pm
get a lightweight pull along hand luggage that is the maximum size you can take on airplanes. Also good for going away for shabbos.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 2:09 pm
Yes to duffles! I had two big lightweight duffles, they hardly weigh anything so you can make the most of the luggage allowance and they can also be stored away in the dorm room instead of in storage with all the suitcases as they fold up compactly. And yes to max size wheely hand luggage for use for going away each shabbos. Between those two items she should be all set - enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics