Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Laundry 9 days

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 12:55 pm
I did not grow up aware of the 9-days laundry prohibition. Does this include things like bras, underwear, towels, socks, tablecloths?

And what about all the folded clean clothes that are in my closet/dresser? Can I really not wear anything clean at all for the 9 days (except for Shabbos)?

And if people could clarify what's halacha and what's chumra, I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 1:02 pm
I can tell you how my rav holds but you should probably ask your own. Socks and undergarments as well as all clothing for young children may be laundered. Don't remember about linens and towels. Also, you can't wear recently laundered clothes, but today you can put them on for a minute then take them off, and it's no longer "freshly laundered".

m in Israel

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 1:13 pm
If you didn't put on all the freshly laundered clothing in your closet before the 9 days, another option to get around the problem of wearing freshly laundered outfits is to put in on the floor and step on it before putting it on so it is no longer so "fresh". This can be done even during the 9 days.

The restrictions do apply to linens and towels as well as clothing.

We do not wash even socks and undergarments, but we do wear them freshly laundered (I.e. we don't try them all on for a few minutes beforehand). Clothing for young children who frequently soil their clothing we do launder if necessary.

It is worth noting that there are two different issues here: the issue of actually doing laundry, and the issue of wearing freshly laundered clothing. The reason for not doing laundry is because the halacha requires us to minimize certain household work during the 9 days so that we can focus more on the aveilus of the time. Not WEARING the freshly laundered clothing is an actual act of aveilus (similar to the way someone sitting shiva does not put on fresh clothing). So for example even though we hold it is OK to wear freshly laundered underwear, we still don't actually wash it.

But there definitely are different opinions on this and it's worth speaking to your own posek.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 1:29 pm
My rav said,
According to Sephardic tradition all the rules about bathing and laundry only apply to the week of Tisha Be AV.
Being that Tisha Be Av is on a Sunday this year, there is no week of Tisha Be Av.
So, there is no prohibition of laundering clothes and wearing fresh clothes, except on Tisha Be Av itself.
You need to ask your LOR

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 1:56 pm
Tisha b'av is only on Sunday because it's pushed off from Shabbos. Are you sure there is no "week of" Tisha b'av?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 1:59 pm
As far as I understand, 9 bav is only on Sunday because it's nidche (it's really on Shabbat). So I think that means the shavua she Hal bo starts this Sunday. (it also means the fast itself is less strict than normal years for people having difficulties.)

But AYLOR.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
Tisha b'av is only on Sunday because it's pushed off from Shabbos. Are you sure there is no "week of" Tisha b'av?

That's what my Rav said.
Check with your LOR

May we be able to push off Tisha Be AV for ever with the Comming of Moshiach, Tzidkenu, Bimhera, Biyamenu, Amen

Brownies

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
As far as I understand, 9 bav is only on Sunday because it's nidche (it's really on Shabbat). So I think that means the shavua she Hal bo starts this Sunday. (it also means the fast itself is less strict than normal years for people having difficulties.)

But AYLOR.

Nope. There are no Shavua Shechal
Bo restrictions this year, at least not according to any Sefardi Rabbi that I know of.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 2:07 pm
As I understand it even many Ashkenazim poskim hold that there is no "shavua shechal bo" this year. But since for the most part there isn't much of a difference in psak for Ashkenazim between the whole 9 days and shavua shechal bo, it gets less attention.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 2:10 pm
Interesting about the shavua shchal bo not existing this year. I stand corrected.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting about the shavua shchal bo not existing this year. I stand corrected.

I don't think you were wrong- I'm sure I read about it being a machloket when it happened last year. Didn't need to ask because, as m in israel said, it's mostly a moot point for Ashkenazim.

From what I understood of the SA/MB that I looked in a couple of weeks ago (needed a review of which restrictions start already from 17 B'Tammuz vs Rosh Chodesh)- tablecloths may be problematic. AYLOR- I'd imagine there may be room to spot-treat stains if need be, not necessarily to launder the whole tablecloth- and then again maybe that's only shavua shechal bo and not the whole 9 days, on the assumption that there's no shavua shechal bo this year.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 5:04 pm
Thank you all for your answers! I had a very laundry-full day yesterday!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note