Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Service charge vs tip

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 8:28 am
I recently ate at a restaurant. There were 3 of us. When the bill came, I asked if they included an 18% tip. Another waitress told me that there was an 18% service charge included, but this is not a tip and that all the servers split that service charge amongst themselves. She strongly implied that I should add a tip just for my waitress on top of the 18% I was charged. I absolutely did not, but I'm wondering what you all think.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 8:44 am
That is rediculous.. If they add a service charge I would definitely consider that instead of a tip.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:15 am
Never heard of a service charge not being considered action it's just a nicer way of saying tip.

It's not uncommon for service personnel to pool tips so I am not sure what that has to do with anything.

The only time I might tip when a service fee is charged is if the person did something extraordinary which would merit more than 20% tip. Or literally an 18% tip. If I would put tip more than amount, why would I do so just because establishment has forced me to pay. I don't mind this in theory since I can't remember the last time service was so bad that I would stiff the service person. When there are problems, it has always seemed to be the problem of the kitchen.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 10:46 am
If the menu or other sign posted doesn't state something like "18% service charge on all parties or parties of 6 or more" I think it is illegal to charge a fee. Don't all fees have to be told in advance? Some places give you a receipt with two prices attached but they do to force you to pay without the verbiage there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics