Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
New hampshire

brenda

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 7:30 pm
Does anyone know of any rentals near the Arlington hotel in New Hampshire? It has to be within walking distance to the hotel .

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:00 pm
Try vrbo.com and airbnb.com.

seams

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 5:29 am
brenda wrote:
Does anyone know of any rentals near the Arlington hotel in New Hampshire? It has to be within walking distance to the hotel .

I found on air bnb and Homeaway.com, if you are a couple and one bed is good just for shabbos then there is a few bed and breakfast houses but pretty expensive and they don't like jews , you can pm me for more info , I have rented alot of houses there in the past

brenda

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 7:14 am
Thanx seams. I was looking to rent a cottage or house that should be close to Arlington hotel.

mommy1and3

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 7:31 am
Just curious because I'm also looking into vacationing in New Hampshire, why the need for the proximity to the hotel? I was told they're not selling food this year, would they let you share the minyan?

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:01 am
I imagine OP is planning to be there over Shabbos, so wants to nearby for davening.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:21 am
Do they let?
Only because I know the Killington groups do not let you daven with them if you don't rent through them because other wise people go that route and they end up losing.

mommy1and3

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 11:25 am
sky wrote:
Do they let?
Only because I know the Killington groups do not let you daven with them if you don't rent through them because other wise people go that route and they end up losing.

That's why I am questioning whether op wants to stay nearby to use minyan, whether hotel would allow it?

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:13 pm
Wow, that's crazy - not letting another Jew daven in your minyan!? I can understand not letting outsiders eat with you or buy any food from you, but to be part of a minyan - wow!!

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:47 pm
doctorima wrote:
Wow, that's crazy - not letting another Jew daven in your minyan!? I can understand not letting outsiders eat with you or buy any food from you, but to be part of a minyan - wow!!

I know it sounds crazy but look at it from their point of view. They made arrangements with the hotel so certain things would be convenient for the frum crowd, such as certain hours of separate swimming, or maybe even one pool that is separate for them, they rented a conference room or the like and set it up as a shul, perhaps another room was rented out and set up as a mini grocery... All these things cost them money. They include these costs into the price when you make a hotel reservation through them. If people were to go online, search for a cheaper place to stay, and just come use the minyan, they are using the minyan for free and leaving the people who arranged it all with the bill. They are not doing this as a cheated to you, and as such should not have a loss of money from it.

Maybe they could find a better way, link charging non hotel guests for the use of the shul. But then you would find it crazy to be charged for the privilege of ravening too, wouldn't you? And really how would they go about enforcing that? Do they need someone to stand at the door and ask to see each person's reservation agreement before entering? They have been in this business for many years, I am sure that they have thought about all these options.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:50 pm
doctorima wrote:

For them its a summer job, not a chessed. The minyan is the main pull that brings people, otherwise go anywhere in Vermont. Its cheaper to rent in Killington then through them, why should anyone bother with them.

If I am in the area, can I join your Minyan, activities etc.?​
A: We invest a tremendous amount for use of the shul, chair and table rentals, health club usage, and all overhead. NO OUTSIDERS can use any of our facilities WITHOUT EXCEPTION since using them causes us major loss. We were asked to leave our former location partially because of people who were not part of our program. I cannot get enough units in the area, and anyone who calls up Killington or homeowners in the area directly causes us serious damage. Please check the Halacha.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:50 pm
Purchasing food from them I think is likely allowed, because they can make money and recoup the expenses they laid out. It is not the same as davening, which usually doesn't come along with a fee, but does cost them alot of money to set up...

seams

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:10 am
brenda wrote:
Thanx seams. I was looking to rent a cottage or house that should be close to Arlington hotel.

There is btw www.hearthsidevillage.com and its down the hill , men do walk on shabbos ,its like a mile or 1 and half mile ,they have cute cabins ,cottages,and bungalows

seams

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 1:13 am
mommy1and3 wrote:
Just curious because I'm also looking into vacationing in New Hampshire, why the need for the proximity to the hotel? I was told they're not selling food this year, would they let you share the minyan?

Even though they have build a special room in the brand new hotel that is opening next week ,there is a brand new shul next door to the arlington build from scratch this year ,and there is the minyanim really happening and its not in the hotel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics