Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Those who DON'T go to movies but DO watch DVDs

amother

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 12:33 pm
Obviously, the difference is in whether you walk into a movie theater or not. But ....isn't a movie a movie, regardless???????????

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 12:39 pm
some think it's a chillul hashem to go or don't want to see the trailers.

healthymama

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 12:58 pm
a dvd, which you rented for 4 dollars, along with a bunch of other ones, is easier to stop and replace than it is to walk out of a movie for which you paid 17.95.

But don't get me wrong, I do both. Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 5:19 pm
My dh has this whole idea about movie theatres glorifying non jewish culture. And how why would he choose to sit in a room full of possibly drunk/stoned/immodestly dressed etc people to see a movie, when he can rent it and watch it in the comfort of his own home.

I don't really agree totally, but he feels very strongly!

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
My dh has this whole idea about movie theatres glorifying non jewish culture. And how why would he choose to sit in a room full of possibly drunk/stoned/immodestly dressed etc people to see a movie, when he can rent it and watch it in the comfort of his own home.

I don't really agree totally, but he feels very strongly!

I see what he means about theaters but ... why would he choose to watch a movie which depicts non jewish culture in the dalet amos of his own home?

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 5:45 pm
I don't have a great reason for being one of those people you're describing...I guess it's just my comfort level.

Also, the types of movies I enjoy are more likely not going to be the blockbuster of the week....

I like classics, documentaries, nature and historical films more than the typical light romantic comedy. And, I don't rent movies really, I'm too cheap.. Twisted Evil so, I just browse through whatever's available at the public library and choose something that looks good.

What

cdawnr

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 6:31 pm
At home you can fast forward the parts you don't like.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 6:54 pm
Maybe you want recommendations and then to borrow oldies from the library. it's free, remember.

I've never done it, but every week I see tons of vhs tapes and dvds on hold there.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 1:21 am
OP - it's a good questions and one I have recenlty been dealing with. in the past couple of years I have gone from watching movies in theaters to only dvd's at home to nothing and now I am back at dvd's at home (netflix). I asked myself why I allowed this 'drop' in observance. while discussing it with dh I realized that I personaly chose to stop watching all movies/dvd's because it looked more frum. ultimatley, I don't think movies are inherintly bad. there are defintly ones not to watch but if I/a person is at the place in their lives where that is what they do for fun/entertainmetn/relaxation then that has to be ok for them.
for me the diff ebtween moives and dvd really is the a)surroundings -- why do I want to sit for 2+ hours with a bunch of teenagers who are acting VERY inappropriately and b) getting caught up in the american mindset of "I need it now' -- why do I need to buy into the concept that I need to pay $20+ for somehting that in 2 months will cost me less than $4.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 5:06 am
MommyLuv wrote:

I like classics, documentaries, nature and historical films more than the typical light romantic comedy.

I like romantic movies, comedies, but can't stand romantic comedies most of the time either. lol

melalyse

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 5:20 pm
Interestingly, when I stopped watching TV and going to movies I stopped watching at home first and still went out to the movies. I thought that it was better not to bring it into my home. (my parents home). I very quickly stopped going out also. Now, I would (in theory) rent a disney movie to watch on my computer. I guess that even if it were a disney movie I just wouldn't want to be seen in a movie theater.

peach

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:56 pm
There are many more "clean" DVDs than "clean" movies being shown in theaters. And the atmosphere is much more tznius and appropriate.

momofgirls

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:59 pm
I think its the enviroment of a movie theatre, and of course that you can fast forward or just choose to stop a movie if you feel its inappropiate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics