Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Chol hamoed trip - philadelphia

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 8:08 pm
I'm thinking of going to philedelphia for chol hamoed. Are there any fun things to do there besides the museums. I have a 4 month old baby, so we could only go to places that we can take him along.

I also want to know where my husband could daven and eat in a sukka. And I am also looking for a nice hotel.
thank you!

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 8:44 pm
The Philadelphia Zoo is beautiful.

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 7:23 am
You might have better luck staying in Cherry Hill, which is just across the bridge from Philly, but many more hotel options, easier parking, several shuls which I imagine (but double-check) will have sukkos for public use. Check out the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philly - very cool! There's also Camden Aquarium and the Philly mint (free).

little_mage

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 9:16 am
The Lower Marion Synagogue puts up a community sukkah every year. You have to bring your own food though. And in my experience, most of the museums are pretty good with babies. Having a four month old is a good age because they're still pretty content to stay in the stroller. I would bring a carrier, though if you have one, because there are places where I stroller is inconvenient or not allowed.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 9:59 am
I know OP said "besides museums" but I'd like to piggyback on this thread and pool resources instead of starting my own.

I am thinking of spending ONE day in Philly this chol hamoed (arriving night before so we can start that one day in the morning) with my 4 year old and 5 1/2 year old, and no budget except that I have ID NYC and can sign up for something here in NY before sukkos that might give reciprocal museum admissions or something.

What would you recommend for us? Does the Franklin Institute have appeal for a 4-year-old, or at least enough that she wouldn't be bored and annoying (older one would definitely be engaged so not worried)? How about the mint? What else?

Blessing1

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 10:03 am
I think the Crayola factory, choo choo barn, Strasbourg railway & cadmen aquarium are in the area.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 10:04 am
Also, what's transportation like - will we be able to park near attractions or should we use public transportation?

Optione

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 10:05 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I think the Crayola factory, choo choo barn, Strasbourg railway & cadmen aquarium are in the area.

All of the above are multiple hours away from each other. Camden is near Philadelphia.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 6:50 pm
seeker wrote:

What would you recommend for us? Does the Franklin Institute have appeal for a 4-year-old, or at least enough that she wouldn't be bored and annoying (older one would definitely be engaged so not worried)? How about the mint? What else?

We take my 3 year old to the Franklin Institute and she LOVES it. It's totally engaging at that age. Some things (the aeronautics room) are too old for her because she can't climb into the planes by herself but there's tons at the Franklin Institute that she enjoys.

Re: parking: it's not like NYC, but most street parking is 2 hr only. It's not hard to find lots, but depending on where you stay downtown philly is very walkable and there's a decent bus system.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics