Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financial Status- tangent

Would you donate some of your Maaser money to the fund?
Yes, I would like to.  
 28%  [ 8 ]
I wish!  
 25%  [ 7 ]
No, Sorry.  
 35%  [ 10 ]
I have an idea for you.  
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 11:27 am
I'm not the OP of the other thread. I've had this idea for a while and have gotten the go-ahead from Yael and others who I've asked advice from. I would like to start a Maaser Fund "Gemach" to help fellow Imamothers. This is not a Gemach where you pay back, the motto that this "Gemach" will run on is: Hashem gives everyone a time in their lives where they are either on the giving end or receiving end- and those who are need to receive now will be able to give later.
The idea is that whoever would like to participate in this huge mitzvah of Tzedaka will give whatever sum they desire out of their Maasar money to the "Gemach."
I need ideas from everyone:
A) I can't and don't want to run it by myself
B) I imagine we might need international representatives
C) I don't know how to tell if someone qualifies. Because this is internet, and it is easy to scam a naive person (like me embarrassed embarrassed ), I need some kind of system to determine this. Is that even possible? Or should I forget the whole idea?
D) My idea is that an Imamother who qualifies will recieve a certain amount each month, depending on what the Gemach can afford to give. Perhaps we can think of a better idea collectively.
Anonymous because I don't want to embarrass anyone as far as their financial status. I'm sure there are those who can easily figure out who I am from the writing style, so be it. If you don't mind keeping it to yourselves so as not to embarrass anyone.
Please add your comments and ideas, as well as if you would be able to donate some of your Maaser to the Gemach.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 11:42 am
My maaser is all pledged somewhere else... and more. And even that we can't afford to give...
But if I were in a state to help, I would. I think its a great idea. But as to how to prove that a person really is deserving of it... maybe others have to know her in person, so they can tell she is a ne'emanah... She can give imamother reference people, for example. And maybe have to explain in writing exactly what her financial state is. And I don't know if it should be a monthly thing- maybe one time chunks to help her out. And each time she needs it, to reapply. Because there are some people that have a difficult situation because of a specific event or whatever, but they don't need monthly help.

healthymama

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 12:25 pm
I think that you should have a huge gala "imamother meet" and charge a fee which will go to the gemach. I also think you should save the gemach for people to apply to for a specific problem, not just divide up the money every month. Cause I know we all need more money every month.

happyone

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:03 pm
What a beautiful idea!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:21 pm
anyway ... nice idea ... tizku ll'mitzvos ... even if it doesn't end up working - what a nice thought !!!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 4:29 pm
healthymama wrote:
I think that you should have a huge gala "Imamother meet" and charge a fee which will go to the gemach. I also think you should save the gemach for people to apply to for a specific problem, not just divide up the money every month. Cause I know we all need more money every month.

I agree with you both on the fundraiser idea and that instead of giving money for the money, it should go for a specific need

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 5:40 pm
Just this week I was thinking of posting anonymously to ask for a donation. I am in dire straits and the pressure is so stressful on me. Esp. when I read the thread where someone asked how to invest 100k and I was thinking, just a tenth of that will help me out.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 02 2007, 11:04 pm
I know, right now I can't imagine a day that I won't be needing the money...
To the amother above. I definitely agree...they can invest that "extra" money in me! Sad

amother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 9:34 am
Original amother here.

Just to clarify- this Gemach (at this point) will not be dealing with or giving large amounts of money. The point is to help others who need pocket change for simple basic necessities. If, at some point in the future, the Gemach will be successful enough to be able to give larger amounts of money, I don't see a problem with that right now.

I am not interested in fundraising, although if I would have to in order to keep the Gemach going, I would consider it a possibility.

The Gemach will run on donations from Maaser money- $10, $20, $30, $40, $50, etc. Whatever you consider a small amount out of your Maaser money.

Looking forward to working with you.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 10:35 am
bump

Please keep voting.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 1:46 pm
please keep voting Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 2:17 pm
are you realy going to charge for a meet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics