Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What do you do if you don't know the Hebrew name?

Mommish

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 1:39 am
How do you name for someone if they only went by an English name? Make up a Hebrew name? I have a few relatives who I would like to name for, but no way of finding out what their Jewish names were. I know my grandfather's Jewish name, but he never used it, so I feel like its not really naming for him if I only call his namesake by his Jewish name.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 1:56 am
I don't think you can make up a hebrew name for someone who is no longer with us- simply because many hebrew names are not even connected to the english ones (although some are) so you cant assume ... you should ask your relatives - doesn't anybody know ... and as far as the grandfather his jewish name is his jewish name and if you name after him you could name his jewish name and his english name so you feel more comfortable ...

aussiegal

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 3:59 am
maybe the hebrew name is written on their grave headstone(or whateva it's called)?

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 4:24 am
Matzeiva.

In our family, we did name a hebrew name after an english name. Elisheva for Betty, and Vered for a Rose.
(Even though Betty's name was Breindel and Rose's was Rivka Raisel.)

cdawnr

Post Tue, Jul 03 2007, 6:32 am
If it about honoring the family member more than the spiritual concept of the person taking on the midos concept, then I would just translate and tell your family that is what you did.

We took Blima and made it Shoshana for my grandmother because we just didn't want the Yiddish name, and our plan for the next girl is to name her Sharona after my aunt Sharon whose Jewish name was Yenta. (Both of these happen to be middle names...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names