Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Spinoff of unnecessary expenses - kallah jewelry
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 12:41 pm
Squishy wrote:
They don't give money for Shabbos. They give food. The families that were forced to do this were unhappy for a number of reasons. One of the reasons was they were given raw ingredients when they were used to buying ready made.

BTW they do have other programs besides Shabbos food. But I was only speaking of Shabbos food.

Maybe it would be better to have them go to mesila and learn proper money management. Its expensive to buy ready made food!

But how do you know all of this? I'm honestly curious how you are privy to other peoples shopping habits?

ETA the ysv Financial assistance application does take a lot of things for granted. For example, it does not ask if you have a cleaning lady, it assumes you have one and asks how often she comes! Umm I dont have one. My husbands ex wife has very different finances than we do, and they wouldn't consider our finances separately. They gave us one price to split. She has a cleaning lady, she goes on vacations, we don't. But we had to split the tuition and the assistance was largely based off of her luxuries. I found the questions that they asked really assumed that people had means for extras, and allowed for them as well.

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 12:43 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
How does that work if they didn't have the money for the food to begin with?

They submit a detailed budget to the school on what they spend their money on when asking for financial aid. They claim they spend this much money for Shabbos.

The school questions spending choices like camp, vacations, clothing, etc.

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe it would be better to have them go to mesila and learn proper money management. Its expensive to buy ready made food!

But how do you know all of this? I'm honestly curious how you are privy to other peoples shopping habits?

ETA the ysv Financial assistance application does take a lot of things for granted. For example, it does not ask if you have a cleaning lady, it assumes you have one and asks how often she comes! Umm I dont have one. My husbands ex wife has very different finances than we do, and they wouldn't consider our finances separately. They gave us one price to split. She has a cleaning lady, she goes on vacations, we don't. But we had to split the tuition and the assistance was largely based off of her luxuries. I found the questions that they asked really assumed that people had means for extras, and allowed for them as well.

The most important part of your post is the last paragraph. I hear what you are saying. I can even understand why they do this.

Is there a legal document saying how it is split? Can you get a revision of it is so unfair? Please don't answer.

It could help to present in an organized respectful manner what you are saying here to R' Frankel. He can and sometimes does override R' M. If you have a document that says you split the obligations in half, then you need to explain the fairness of starting from the point of your obligation and figuring out assistance from there rather than the other way. One problem is if you have been meeting your obligation.

BTW most parents do have luxuries, yet they get tuition breaks. BH the school is functioning even with that, but the system is hard for those that don't have the same lifestyle. Half of the full tuition goes to support other parents. I look at the parking lot and see many luxury cars, and the kids live a luxury lifestyle with designer things being the norm. Personally, I wish more assistance went to those choking like yourself.

I also advocate that people budget with Mesilla. I am a big fan of their system.
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics